Versicolor??

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
would a 5.5 gallon tank with a screen lid turned on its side...have good enough ventialtion for a A. veriscolor ??

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
wow you help alot!! thank you!! that is going to be one of my next Ts!

WidowMaker

Arachnopeon
Good luck with it. I have one versi, and it's great (haven't sexed it yet). Very active little guy (or girl?), watch out though, seems to always want to come out when you open up the cage for anything. :D Best wishes.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
hahha thanx i cant wait to get one!! they are soo beautiful!! how docile are they? has ne one ever gotten bit by one of these? are they handable? tahnks

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
ohh and can ne of you post pics of your versicolors enclosure designs? im trying to get some ideas? kinda blank right now! thanks

WidowMaker

Arachnopeon
I'm sure someone, somewhere's been bit, but I've never been bit by one (I've handled several others besides mine). They're very fast, keep that in mind. Docile, yes. Very sweet T's. They are 'curious' and if you take them out will love to explore.... just remember they're fast and can be a bit 'flighty'. Don't breathe heavily on them when you have them out (they take off fast). The bite I've heard from barely a reaction at all, to a bit of swelling and pain for a few days. Of course, if you're one of the unlucky few to be allergic, it could be worse. Best wishes.

WidowMaker

Arachnopeon
Oh, as far as the enclosure goes, I don't have a digital camera :8o but once it's a bit bigger. I have a 10 gallon on it's side, with a large cork bark going up the back, peat moss substrate, a water dish, etc. Pretty much the norm for them. If you don't have room for a 10 gallon, a 5.5 gal is okay. Remember they're arboreal, so you need height more than width. Best wishes.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
thank you that helped alot...im definetly getting one!!!! and ya i know they need more height then floor space..i have an avic avic...soo ya but i just wanted to know if a. versicolors had the same termpermant and all that but ya thanx alot!!

greenbay1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey demonhunter. There is a lot of good information on A. versicolor by using the search function on the boards here. You can also search the pic board and find some awesome pics of them. They are great Ts to have. I love the arboreals and the versicolor is one of the most docile. Search around - they are more reasonable in price than they used to be. Good luck! :)

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
haha awesome! thanks ill do that...how much do they cost now a days?

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Not sure on the current price, just do some shopping. One more suggestion, go for one that is at least 1.5 inches, IMHO,as the could be prone to molting problems in the earlier stages. Sure a 5.5 gallon tank is fine. I have 2 of my avics in that kind of set up, and another 2 in 2.5's. A piece of cork curl works perfectly and a large water bowl. I personally don't use substrate for my avics, but that's a choice you can make on your own. As for the versi, mine is in a plastic container right now, 8 inches tall. It hides alot, but also comes out in the open (I think when its waiting for food...waiting not hunting...spoiled!!!)They are truly beautiful Check out my photo link for some nice shots with the blue striping and without!
I love the avics...they have just enough liveliness, and are sweet as could be.

Letsgochopping

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My one reservation here is that please use corkbark. I used a piece of round pvc pipe and it didn't give one of my versis enough ventilation and she later died ( I think of mold / infection). After a certain size they don't seem to be too too concerned with humidity, but ventilation is really a must. Use corkbark and you should be o.

Huk7

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Soulsick said:
Mine never tries to escape... does anyone else's always try escaping?
I've got 5 slings and they are a nightmare, when it comes to doing anything with their containers. As soon as the lid is off, they are out like racehorses, the trouble is they only have about a 1.5" legspan at the moment, so I have to be very careful with them.

Beth-Tex

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine are also in the "never tries to escape" category. :D I have 4 Avic avics (2 adults raised from babies & have 2 of THEIR babies :)) and I have one versi raised from a little thing & she also, has never tried to escape.
My versi is in a similar size container as a 5 gal & she appears to be content. She is 4 1/2" of pure loveliness. :worship:

Beth

rgfx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My two versis are nosey, rather than keen to escape. If you open the lid they come to the top and wander round the rim, but they don't make a run for it.

DanHalen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Some good info! Thanks for the thread guys! I'm going to an invert show near london on saturday. Very much hoping to pick one up! :D

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
haah ya thanks guys for all the good info!! cant wait till i get mine!!!