Versicolor not growing?

Phancyface724

Arachnopeon
I have a tiny little versicolor that I got around 3 months ago, and since I have had it it has not molted. Is this length of time normal? All my other slings are going on their 2nd and some even their 3rd in my care. It eats pretty good, is in a proper sized container and otherwise seems healthy. Just wondering if this is normal. :confused:

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a tiny little versicolor that I got around 3 months ago, and since I have had it it has not molted. Is this length of time normal? All my other slings are going on their 2nd and some even their 3rd in my care. It eats pretty good, is in a proper sized container and otherwise seems healthy. Just wondering if this is normal. :confused:
How big is it?
Either way--most likely within the realm of normal, but may, or may not be within the realm of "typical."

Phancyface724

Arachnopeon
half inch

.5" give or take...I'm going by the fact that they should molt more often when they are small, especially this small. I was thinking maybe it is just a slow grower since he seems otherwise healthy. Maybe someone experienced this before and knows the outcome, whether it will catch up at some point, or be a victim of SADS.

Attachments

DemonAsh

Arachnosquire
.5" give or take...I'm going by the fact that they should molt more often when they are small, especially this small. I was thinking maybe it is just a slow grower since he seems otherwise healthy. Maybe someone experienced this before and knows the outcome, whether it will catch up at some point, or be a victim of SADS.
I just traded a versi sling around the same size.. I had it for four months, no molt, no sign of a premolt even. (if you can tell when they are that small.) The day my friend took possession of him he molted.. :wall: good lookin little sling, btw...

Phancyface724

Arachnopeon
I'm so glad to hear...I have been worrying about this little guy. I actually ordered 2 versicolors from the forum here and the 2 I got are bigger than my little one. Granted I do not know how old they are, but they were sold as "just hatched", or something like that.
I was hoping that someone had the same experience and now I can stop worrying so much.

evicton

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my experience with avicularia slings in general has led me to believe that this is one genus where growth is based almost entirely on the individual spider. I do not consider them fast growers either, not slow mind you but not fast at all. I have an avic avic sling that in about a year time span has grown from .5 to 1 inch. My versi color was actually a fairly slow grower molting once every 2-3 months, however recently it had 3 molts in a 4 month period and has grown quite a bit in that period and is showing adult coloration starting.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Including all relevant details helps us help you, just a side-note.;)
Anyway, my vote is that this little guy is a late bloomer is all.

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
of all my T's I would say that my Avics are some of my slowest 'bloomers' I have one sling that I got in December that was .75" and now is only 1.5", and thats with 4 molts!!!

I also have a small versi that is going on 90-100 days post molt without a sign of molting... go figure, seems healthy enough.

I just hope my diversipes isn't as slow!

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Some Avis grow SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW...

PIG-

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
More input needed.

Tarantulas growth rate is determined not only by species but husbandry, temprature feeding etc. It seems plump but it may be being kept cold and thus slower growth rate.

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine was about that size when I first got him. He hadn't molted in 4 months, so I fed him constantly, as much as he'd eat. Then I slid his small cage next to my B. emilia enclosures (which all have heating pads on the side of them). Tested the temp a bit away from the pad, so I wouldn't fry the little guy. Lo and behold a week later.. molt! A month after... MOLT! About another month after, MOLT. Nearly 3 months after, another.. And now the little guy is sitting at ~1.5" and looks to be in pre-molt. Now that's he's nearly 4x his old size, I'm going to feed him normally, like all my other Ts... then again, I have 3 females waiting on him.. o_O descisions descisions. I'll probably just let him age normally now.. I love the little guy. He's so playful!

Want to see slow growers? Grab a G. rosea lol.. nearly 1.5 years and still no molt! There was a time when he was moving around and acting like he was in pre-molt. The next morning he yelled 'Psyche!' and continued on as normal.

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dont forget gender effecting growth rate. Your little T looks fairly dark so I would stop pulling her out as much increase humidity and ill bet you will see a molt soon.

Noexcuse4you

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My versi went from .5" to 3" in 2 years. I must've gotten one of those ultra-slow growing ones. :eek:

Mattybofmd

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my versi seemed to molt pretty regularly always kept humidity up n well fed seemed to do the trick

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine is slow too :( I got one from Paul Becker , about 2 months ago , same size , and hasnt grown , molted , or eaten anything I throw next to it . On every care sheet , they all say the same thing : Fast growers up until juvie stage .

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I bought one of my females at 3/4 of an inch,and now,maybe 6 months lagter,its gotta be 3 inches.Just seems to have a REALLY long premolt period.I was waiting on this girl for a month and a half for this last molt.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This thread is so totally opposite of my Avic situation.. Recently had two avics molt. One gre about 1,5 cm, other one grew just over 2 cm.. The one that grew the most was a versicolor.

Now, my little huriana sling is a completly different story. Will barely touch food, wont molt, wont nothing.. Stubborn little git..

Julia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Count me in with the bunch who has some slow-growers. Twinkie was probably .25" a little over a year ago. We're now pushing 1", maybe. It's like watching grass grow. Almost positive my B. smithi is growing faster.

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine was about that size when I first got him. He hadn't molted in 4 months, so I fed him constantly, as much as he'd eat. Then I slid his small cage next to my B. emilia enclosures (which all have heating pads on the side of them). Tested the temp a bit away from the pad, so I wouldn't fry the little guy. Lo and behold a week later.. molt! A month after... MOLT! About another month after, MOLT. Nearly 3 months after, another.. And now the little guy is sitting at ~1.5" and looks to be in pre-molt. Now that's he's nearly 4x his old size, I'm going to feed him normally, like all my other Ts... then again, I have 3 females waiting on him.. o_O descisions descisions. I'll probably just let him age normally now.. I love the little guy. He's so playful!
And I just got a phone call! He molted again!

TCBR

Arachnopeon
Count me in with the bunch who has some slow-growers. Twinkie was probably .25" a little over a year ago. We're now pushing 1", maybe. It's like watching grass grow. Almost positive my B. smithi is growing faster.
yep same here i must have a good 15 avic slings and julia our B.smithi's must be sisters, mine i swear also grows faster lol . ;P