Ventilation question?

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OK, i just went down about a 2hr rabbit hole trying to figure this one out. I'm not sure if the microbiome plays all that critical of a role here, especially trying to avoid anaerobic bacteria. If that was true people would poke holes in their substrate. I was trying to find bacteria that is harmful to spiders and it seems pretty rare, anaerobic not. Also I'm not sure if there would be more oxygen. Effusion through a hole larger than the mean free path is modeled by Samson's flow is only present when there is a difference in pressure. A spider probably cannot produce a great difference in pressure just through the consumption of O2. Also too much ventilation means more frequent wetting of the substrate. This means that I will always be effecting the soils water filled porosity on the top layer. I would assume doing this more often would contribute to a more anaerobic environment.

Also, at what point is there diminishing returns on ventilation? I was trying to figure this out but couldn't find any equations that modeled this behavior. I would assume that if you had a container with a large enough hole that increasing the size even more would have almost no effect.

I also want to add that I am no means an expert at any of the subjects at hand. Just a Bio Engineering student with a passion for T's. Thanks to yall I had a lot of fun and learned some new things.
Oh man that is a rabbit hole indeed! Regarding avoiding anaeorobic bacteria, I'm not sure if they play a more significant part in playing as T pathogens but I do believe that a more diverse microfauna is healthier. For the research regarding theraposidae pathogens, I would be surprised if more than a handful of research papers regarding that exist in the world!

hmm I suppose it would matter on how many holes and how big they were and whether or not there were in a place with air flow vs stagnant air ( I run a pretty powerful fan at my T shelf). Constantly adding water would probably create differences in pressure if it's over the substrate around the holes to I would imagine? Temperature probably plays a big role too?

For ventilation would cross ventilation and top and bottom holes create the most efficient gas exchange? From the little bit I can recall from uni that cross ventilation and top and bottom should be good but I could be wrong. How much does location of holes matter vs size vs number of holes?

Congrats on bioengineering homie, if I could go back in school that's the major I would pick, you guys learn EVERYTHING!!

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah it was a good one, and glad we can get back to beinng AB friends lol.

Yeah they are my first love! Soils, plants and trees are what I revolved around for a long time.

Man Nueroscience/ nuerobiology has always been an interest of mine since I had brain surgery when i was 16. and now I teach some basic nueroscience of addiction/ anxiety in a treatment group in my new prof. Small world!

Always!! And it's definitely better to have someone question things rather than not otherwise I would never learn.

Dude soil and trees and plants (fungi) are absolutely life! I have a little bit of soil from my home village (north India) back here in LA and I planted a giant tulsi (basically typa basil) straight from the old country in my backyard and it's like I brought my two homes together in LA 😊

Neuroscience is definitely wild and a beautiful rapidly emerging field esp with stuff like neural networks and AI and brain mapping! Sidenote: Addiction and physiological response, like overdose is so crazy like how psychological opponent motor processes work....blew my mind when I learned that someone used to taking same amount of compound at one set location and building tolerance, they could potentially overdose on the same amount of drug if they did it in a different environment!!