Ventalation Holes

Soli

Arachnopeon
I got an acrylic shoe-box from the container store for my euathlus red. It already has a small row of vent holes on the opposite sides. Should I add more holes? If so, can I just add more holes to the sides, or do I need a vent for the top?

Also, does anyone know if I can melt holes in this type of material? (with a soldering pen)

And if anyone has a enclosure made with this sort of container, I'd love to see it :)

singaporesling

Arachnosquire
You can burn the holes but a good drill is easier. I would continue that pattern all the way around and put about twenty holes in the top

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
As said just add more holes around the sides and top, then your done.

Soli

Arachnopeon
You can burn the holes but a good drill is easier. I would continue that pattern all the way around and put about twenty holes in the top
Ok, I am just worried I will crack it with my drill. (I'm not good with that type of thing) What can I do to avoid cracking it?

And thanks guys, can I have the holes border the top rim?

Rhodin

Arachnosquire
Where did you get this box? These look soooo much better than sterlite containers

As for ventilation I would suggest just adding a lot more on the sides if you plan on stacking these boxes now or in the future. I've heard that putting a piece of tape down where you're going to drill can help. I just avoid applying allot of pressure and take things slow

Soli

Arachnopeon
Where did you get this box? These look soooo much better than sterlite containers

As for ventilation I would suggest just adding a lot more on the sides if you plan on stacking these boxes now or in the future. I've heard that putting a piece of tape down where you're going to drill can help. I just avoid applying allot of pressure and take things slow
I got them from thecontainerstore.com, they have a lot of store locations too. I really like this container, it's crystal clear and the perfect size...and most importantly super cheap!

Here's what I got http://www.containerstore.com/shop/closet/shoeStorage/shelf?productId=10023923

They also have larger ones:
http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10026189&N=&Ntt="men+s"+"shoe+box"

I ended up using a dremmel to make the holes and it is working really well. Might post pics when I get it all set up :)

Thanks guys!

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I got an acrylic shoe-box from the container store for my euathlus red. It already has a small row of vent holes on the opposite sides. Should I add more holes? If so, can I just add more holes to the sides, or do I need a vent for the top?

Also, does anyone know if I can melt holes in this type of material? (with a soldering pen)

And if anyone has a enclosure made with this sort of container, I'd love to see it :) ...

The holes are just fine. (Maybe even a little too big, but not enough to worry over.) You're good to go.

Enjoy your little 8-legged marvel!

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
use a hole saw you can buy the kit for like 5 bucks at a harbor freight

i use these ones as well and if arent too rough you can easily drill holes everywhere you need

one 2-3 inch hole in the top with a vent covering would be fine or a few 1 inch holes on the side near where there are already holes would be fine too

Soli

Arachnopeon
The holes are just fine. (Maybe even a little too big, but not enough to worry over.) You're good to go.

Enjoy your little 8-legged marvel!
Thank you! :)

use a hole saw you can buy the kit for like 5 bucks at a harbor freight

i use these ones as well and if arent too rough you can easily drill holes everywhere you need

one 2-3 inch hole in the top with a vent covering would be fine or a few 1 inch holes on the side near where there are already holes would be fine too
Thanks for the idea, might do the vent top for a future tarantula (hehe)...I ended up putting more holes around the sides and top

BioTeach

Arachnopeon
As long as you are keeping your T's on dry sub with a waterdish, you are good to go. If you get the sub too damp it might fog up and mold, but it can be done. I've been keeping several adult T's (and 1 Emp) in the men's sized containers with no issues for a couple of years with the stock holes, coco fiber, a water dish, and a hide. I also have some smaller T's in the smaller sizes. They stack well if need be, the lids are snug, and you can't beat the price!

Soli

Arachnopeon
Here's the cage (crappy cell phone pics), I will probably make a lot more changes to it later, like add some fake plants, more rocks, topsoil etc. I really like how it turned out, it's super clear and easy to view the T through the top. This is also my first tarantula so I am pretty stoked :)

The inhabitant:

Rhodin

Arachnosquire
May I asked how good the packing was? I would have to ship them all the way to canada where I live and would hate to have something arrive only to have to send it back because it was broken

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have several sizes of these. Definitely economical. I used a high speed drill to add additional holes. Don't press, just let the weight of the drill carry the bit thru. I put a masking tape template to make holes evenly spaced. Number of additional holes I placed depended on species. Only thing I''ve found with these is they scratch very easily, even with paper towel. Also, get more glare from camera flash than with glass. I had mine shipped. Very well packed.

Soli

Arachnopeon
I have several sizes of these. Definitely economical. I used a high speed drill to add additional holes. Don't press, just let the weight of the drill carry the bit thru. I put a masking tape template to make holes evenly spaced. Number of additional holes I placed depended on species. Only thing I''ve found with these is they scratch very easily, even with paper towel. Also, get more glare from camera flash than with glass. I had mine shipped. Very well packed.
Mine was packed well too,

And finished it!
http://i.imgur.com/hrsP1N2.jpg

Hawk

Arachnopeon
Question, I have a female GBB in a huge container (bin) and it just takes too much room up on my shelf, but I was wondering if this would be ideal for a GBB?

Bongo Fury

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Timer
Question, I have a female GBB in a huge container (bin) and it just takes too much room up on my shelf, but I was wondering if this would be ideal for a GBB?
The 9" x 13" x 5-1/2" h Men's size would work but it's a little short IMO. When considering new container sizes, remember Stan's advice:
FOR TERRESTRIAL TARANTULAS
1) The shorter horizontal dimension of a cage should be at least 3 times the Diagonal Leg Span (DLS). The longer dimension is undefined. For circular and polygonal cages there is only one important dimension, the cage's diameter and it still should be at least 3 times the DLS.

2) The Clear Inside Height (CIH) of the cage is much more critical.

2a) For tarantulas less than 1.5"/38 mm (or perhaps 2"/5 cm) DLS, the CIH should not be greater than 2 or 3 times the DLS.

2b) For tarantulas larger than 1.5"/38 mm the CIH should not exceed 1.5 times the DLS.

2c) For the giant tarantulas, obese tarantulas, and very old tarantulas, the CIH should not exceed 1 times the DLS.

Hawk

Arachnopeon
The 9" x 13" x 5-1/2" h Men's size would work but it's a little short IMO. When considering new container sizes, remember Stan's advice:
So what would you recommend? I hate how huge the bin is, I mean it probably would suit a Goliath better than my GBB.

And it looks so plain in there because I have no clue what to put in there besides sticks and a water bowl! lol

Bongo Fury

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Timer
So what would you recommend? I hate how huge the bin is, I mean it probably would suit a Goliath better than my GBB.

And it looks so plain in there because I have no clue what to put in there besides sticks and a water bowl! lol
I would just look for a similar bin in a size that suits your space requirements. Or maybe a large kritter keeper?

As you know, any decorations will probably just end up as a mass of webbing. Substrate, a waterdish, and a cork bark hide is all I have in my GBB containers.