velvet worm got huge.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
beetleman said:
winecooler...$79.99
hence my asking. i'm sure that everyone who has these suckers doesn't tote an expensive icebox with them.

Last edited:

crashergs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thats the least expensive way if your eviroment is not natually 55-67 degrees year round (for the new zealand species)

ive heard people wanting to purchase from me and put them in their basement where its always 60 something degrees.

crashergs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
update! all babies are grouped together, which clearly means they feed all together,

they tend to be by larger adult species of worms to scavenge left over parts, adults like to stay together in similar fashion of baby peripatus.

photos below:

baby peripatus grouped together

adult male and two female peripatus living communally, sleeping together till i disturbed them, very very sensitive to light, the flash of my camera makes them scurry away into darkness

velvet worm habitat, with rotten wood provided to me by mr KennyGee on this forum, gladly appreciated kennyGee, you made my peripatus happy :)

crashergs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
nah, the cricket is dead, it accidently fell on it when i moved the coconut half in which they were laying under :)

its funny because ill put in about 10 pin head crickets, and next day i open it, bits and pieces of cricket all over the terrarium im like wow very clean eaters!

kliide

Arachnopeon
Life in the Undergrowth

Just finished watching the first episode titled, "Invasion". Totally amazed by the Peripatus hunting segment. I can't imagine how powerful that glue must be.

For those of you who haven't watched the video, the peripatus captures a cricket that appears to be 1/4 its length with dual strands of glue. It appears to wave the dual strands of glue in wavy spirals in order to cover a larger area of its prey. The cricket, aside from a few twitches, appears instantly immobilized. Given the size of the cricket, whose body girth was slightly larger than the peripatus, I'd have to say that glue is crazy strong...super, even ;).

Anyway, I was just curious what the largest prey item that anyone here has given their velvet worm. The strength of the glue is really amazing. It must be quite difficult to produce if the peripatus is induced to eat the glue off the prey after its been sprayed. Does anyone know of studies that have been done to measure the strength of the glue? My google-fu is weak, as I've had difficulty finding anything other than a one paragraph article stating some australian scientist believes the glue to be stronger than super glue.

Also, anyone have an infrared setup? I don't know if it's been attempted, but there are extremely cheap web cams (~10-15USD) in China/HK that are for some reason infrared. The image quality is 640x480 and quite clear. I think there are some applications that have motion detection designed to trigger recording onto your pc. Seems to be quite good for surreptitiously recording a nocturnal predator.

Anyhow, thanks for sharing the pics and best of luck raising all your velvet worms!

Snakefox

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi I saw that you need some rotten wood I live in houston texas a hot moist climmate and All the wood around here is rotten what would you like
mesquite
oak
Peach
Pear
Maple

crashergs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
one of them molted, when it molts, it molts a very thin layer of white skin, i tried stretching it but it ripped, looks like a used condom :) they are still growing, voravious predators thats for sure. i put 10 pinheads and all of them except for one was ripped in half and pieces of body parts spread around the perimiter of the crickets corpses. very intruiging.

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
kliide said:
Just finished watching the first episode titled, "Invasion". Totally amazed by the Peripatus hunting segment. I can't imagine how powerful that glue must be.
:eek: I Just finished The First Episode about the Velvet Worms aswell, Were can one get a Velvet worm?
Thanks
Eric

(also can you feed them Crickets?)

crashergs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
first episode of velvet worm?? is that a show?

and its almost impossible to get velvet worms, and if you do.. chances of it living are slim to none, its not any ordinary pet as ive learned, it needs speacial temperatures for them to live and reproduce, within 50-63 degrees and rotten wood and moss, and they are highly prone to dying if mold occurs. ive had them for 4 months now with 5 babies doing good, very slow growers. Thankfully you can keep feeder corpses in their containers for about 2/3 days before mold becomes apparent, since temps are so low.

yes you can feed them crickets, i feed mine pin heads, fruit flies.

kliide

Arachnopeon
Oops

I wish there was a series entitled "Velvet Worm", but no, it was just the first episode of the insect documentary, "Life in the Undergrowth". The first episode in that documentary is called, "Alien Invasion".

Anyhow, I had a question as well. Has anyone keeping velvet worms noticed residual glue on the prey items when their bodies are cleaned from the terrarium? I'm guessing that the Velvet worms don't re-ingest all of the glue that they use to trap the prey.

Is it brittle?

crashergs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i noticed that they will eat amongst the glue that they used to capture their prey, the rest of it is not eaten, ive noticed strands of glue that have retain their strength for some time before it just falls to the ground and becomes part of the terrarium. they do hunt in packs ive noticed and they are sociable creature, they like to all hide together underneath a log, and serperate during eating sessions.