UVB lighting, D3-Calcium and other reptile "bone development" questions

Shelob

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello everyone, I was hoping to find out some more information about the topics stated in the well, topic. Hopefully a kind poster or posters will be able to assist me.

Question time!

1. How do reptiles absorb UVB lighting? I mean, which cells recieve the light and are they completely self-regulatory in terms of not allowing too much UVB light into the cell?

2. How, exactly, do the UVB bulbs make it do they give off the D3 and why does it expire after (approx.) 1 year?

3. How, exactly, do the D3, calcium and phosphorous work together?

4. Is is possible with any of the common reptiles that need UVB (lizards, turtles+tortoises, crocodilians, etc.) to have them on suppliments (Repti-Cal, Bone-Aid etc) as a replacement for the UVB or not? I have heard that is IS possible but not recommended as you have to have the proper ratio of calcium to phosphorous...what exactly is the ratio again? 2:1 C to P or the other way around?

5. How easy is it, using supplements, to overdose on calcium/phosphorous? Is it possible at all? How can you tell if your animal has an overdose, what are the symptoms?

6. Can you overdose on repti-vitamines (like Repti-Vite)? How often, say for a bearded dragon, should you dust? 2 times a week? The calcium amount in Repti-Vite is not too high, I wonder if you could overdose it....

A lot of questions, I know. However I do hope that it sparks some interesting and informative (as well as intelligent) discussion. I will ask however that you do not post information unless you are sure it is valid. If you are unsure, please state that you are. Throwing out theories as facts are the last thing we need.

Thanks a lot guys, I hope you could help me with some of the questions!

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Shelob said:
3. How, exactly, do the D3, calcium and phosphorous work together?

4. Is is possible with any of the common reptiles that need UVB (lizards, turtles+tortoises, crocodilians, etc.) to have them on suppliments (Repti-Cal, Bone-Aid etc) as a replacement for the UVB or not? I have heard that is IS possible but not recommended as you have to have the proper ratio of calcium to phosphorous...what exactly is the ratio again? 2:1 C to P or the other way around?

5. How easy is it, using supplements, to overdose on calcium/phosphorous? Is it possible at all? How can you tell if your animal has an overdose, what are the symptoms?

6. Can you overdose on repti-vitamines (like Repti-Vite)? How often, say for a bearded dragon, should you dust? 2 times a week? The calcium amount in Repti-Vite is not too high, I wonder if you could overdose it....
3. D3 helps Calcium get absorbed. I don't know about the phosphorus.

4. Yes. You can raise both crested geckos, and (oh crap, I forgot) without the use of UV. They have to get the proper supplements of D3 with Calcium and vitamins (making sure the vitamins are not also supplemented).

5. It is really easy to overdose. Feeder insects should not look like they've being coated in "flour". I don't know the ratio of calcium to phosphorus. You want to make sure that both the vitamins and the calcium do not both have D3. Just one or the other. I have always used herpavite and rep-cal (with the calcium one having D3). I'm sure there is a way to tell when it's too late. Think about a person taking vitamins and the ratio of that to your body if you just want an example.

6. Yes. Too many vitamins isn't good. Certain vitamins will affect other body functions (I can't be specific without dragging up some books and digging for a while) more than others, throwing off chemical balances.

mimic58

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Shelob said:
2. How, exactly, do the UVB bulbs make it do they give off the D3 and why does it expire after (approx.) 1 year?
The lamps give out Specific wave lengths and spectrums of UVA & UVB light that try to mimic levels in sun light, chemicals within the animals skin allow it to convert & synthasis this into vitamin D3 wich they require to make use of Calcium and absord it properly, the bulbs have a working life of arround 6 months before the chemicals inside them start to break down and the levels of UVa & UVb drop off. allowing the lamps to wear out is not recomended as they can sometimes start to chuck out the wrong wavelengths of light an maybe cause harm

Last edited: