Using rocks from outside?

MIguy49421

Arachnopeon
Hey hope everyone is doing great. I had a question. If I found what i think to be a good rock for my enclosure for my scorpion can i clean it and use it in my enclosure. I know wood and what not can cause issues but I didn't think a rock would.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Hey hope everyone is doing great. I had a question. If I found what i think to be a good rock for my enclosure for my scorpion can i clean it and use it in my enclosure. I know wood and what not can cause issues but I didn't think a rock would.
Should be fine if thoroughly washed, cleaned, and dried.

luuk

Arachnopeon
It might help to boil it or put it in the oven too to kill anything off but I’m no expert either though.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes, wise to clean it. I microwave some water and let the rock soak in it

ZX14

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yea, just clean it good and it'll be fine!

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
In the aquarium side of things, we boil the rock. Or if it is a porous rock, we boil water and then submerge the rock.

Very few things can survive being boiled and steamed. The things that can, are living in volcanoes, on hotspots, or deep in the earth.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Hahaha if you live in Hawaii... It's a veritable paradise and a great area to see various ecological systems with biodiversity not found on the US mainland...

The trade off is... there are no Tarantulas endemic to Hawaii and the exotic pet trade is heavily regulated.

... lobster sounds good about now

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hahaha if you live in Hawaii... It's a veritable paradise and a great area to see various ecological systems with biodiversity not found on the US mainland...

The trade off is... there are no Tarantulas endemic to Hawaii and the exotic pet trade is heavily regulated.

... lobster sounds good about now
But Hawaii does have giant centipedes! At least you got that if you live there.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
You are correct... but your collection will never be complete.

Hawaii won't let you bring much, if anything in.

Sir Aculeus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Bake those rocks! Low temp (200-250 F) for 15 minutes. Hangout near you oven for safety and play a game or reply to a post or two. You can wash rocks but if the rock is porous bacteria and parasites may not get washed out. Mites love wood, so if you really want that cool looking piece of wood you found just bake that sucker. Wood ignites at about 500 degrees Fahrenheit. 200-250F i for 15 minutes to kill unwanted hitchhikers.