Useless Herding Dog

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Hiya,

I know what you're thinking. You're thinking by the title this probably belongs in the "Not So Spineless" forum, but let me finish. :)

I was just thinking about how frustrating this little chore of mine is and how much it would help if I could shrink my dog down to maybe 3/4 of an inch and teach him to herd these little baby tarantulas into their individual containers. He's a herding breed, so he could actually make himself useful since it's the only "herd" I have in the house! ;)

That would sure save the back-breaking efforts of having to do it myself. I've been working on it off and on for the last 3 days and have already started day #4. I got caught offguard when the day before my critters arrived, I realized they were coming all together in one container and that I needed to separate them myself. I just wasn't prepared because I thought 50/50s were only done one way, but I thought wrong. :}

It just would have been nice to know in advance that they can be done this way. It's only the first time I've had a male actually reproduce, so it's just a new experience for me. Always something new to learn. :)

Had I known, I would have gotten the containers I need to minimize cannibalizing. Fortunately, I had about 100 or so leftover from last year, when I had baby P. cancerides, which I individually cupped before sending off to Crash769. Mind you, there weren't nearly as many of those as there are of these, but it just would have been nice to know. I guess I should have asked, but as I said, I was under the impression that 50/50s were only done one way, and that is with the owner of the female cupping the babies before shipping them.

Am I upset? Not at all. I'm very happy to have living babies out of a spider that was very dear to me. Besides, I know how busy the other person is so I understand why cupping them for me couldn't be done. I also think I got more than my 50% to make up for it, which is cool. :)

Live and learn.

If there's any lesson to be learned here: Find out what the owner of the female plans to do before having them shipped to you. That way, you can be prepared when the new babies arrive. Like I said, at least I had some containers around the house that I could use. And considering how many of these guys I have, I couldn't have finished individually cupping them the first day anyway. Like I said, I've been at it for 3 days and have already cupped about 40 of them this morning. (I'm taking a break between rounds).

I'd say I cupped about 300 - 400 of them, though most are in group containers. It just seemed easier to split them up into groups in large containers. Then, I can break the groups up as I go. It seemed the best way to minimize the cannibalizing as each container represents a minimum of 1 survivor.

I think I'm finally getting the hang of it. This morning, I lined up the deli cups, spritzed them, then starting unpacking one of the containers that had about 20 slings in it and putting them into the moistened containers. Later on, I will need to add some substrate to them. I figured it's better not to use any because then you can't turn the container upside-down when necessary.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to make this quicker and easier? Seems like I'm looking at a few more days' work and the longer it takes me, the more of them are going to be cannibalized. I've already seen some signs of it. I even saw 2 fighting it out. (And I'd always thought cannibalizing was done when molting)! I was in the process of pulling some out, so I may have broken up the fight, but I'm not sure. I suspect someone probably ended up being lunch.

I did find one extra fat one. I named him "Terminator" because I figured he had probably terminated one or more of his siblings.

Well, I guess it's time to get back to work. If anyone has any tips to make this easier, please let me know. The faster I can get them all separated, the more I can save from each other. It's just too bad they don't realize that and they want to run every which way but loose! ;)

Wysi

Last edited:

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Hiya....still no ideas? (I'm thinking nobody's seen the question because of all my ranting and raving, but there IS a question there I'd appreciate an answer to, especially since I am just starting day 6 of this). ;)

Himself

Arachnopeon
Why don't you just state the question, then maybe someone will venture an answer?

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Himself said:
Why don't you just state the question, then maybe someone will venture an answer?
Simple enough, though it's kinda tough to answer the question if you haven't read what I've already done so far. The question is whether or not anyone has a suggestion on a simpler/quicker way to do this than what I am already doing?