urticating hairs in lungs?

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was wondering something... this weekend i'm most likely going to go to an arachind dealers house and pick up some slings... I was thinking of getting a T. blondi as well as an avic. what i want to know is considering t blondi's kick hair quite often, meaning everytime i try to do a spot clean or feed him or take him out to replace substrate, don't all the hairs fly araound in the room? and land on pillows and bed sheets and carpets and stuff?? wouldn't i be breathing them in constantly??? just want to get the facts straight before i get one.... and one more thing, i've heard that t.blondi's hide a lot, how do i get him out of his tank?? being as defensive as he is??

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Two words..... Lasiodora parahybana..... Get almost as big as the T-blondies and stay out in the open much more..... Also much cheaper in price. Greg

Frostbyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
1st off as far as I know Ts dont shed the hairs like a cat or dog. They only "flick" them off in a defense mode. I doubt you'll have them all over unless you really make your T mad out in the open somewhere. 2nd a Blondie? and your still kinda new to Ts ? Thats your call . I had a Rosie then got a few Avics. Then a Red Knee and a Green Bottle Blue and a ½ dozen scorpions .. then I figured Id be ready for a Cobalt Blue. Wrong , this T to this day has me freaked. When shes safe in her tunnel shes cool .. but get her in the open and exposed and shes the meanest thing on 8 legs Ive seen. The only way Id recommend to move ANYTHING like that is a ½ a 2 liter soda bottle cut in half . Put the cap on .. pick it up and place that over the T , kinda like a covered trap . Then place a piece of STIFF card board under the T. Ive seen lotsa How Tos on the boards here .. just do a search. Good Luck ..Its your call how you know what you can deal with ... but if it were me Id think 2x .. maybe even 3 !

Frostbyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Also .. you want big ? Try a Golden Chaco Knee. Way safer ! ! !

I just dont want to see you be Da Illest from a bite :eek:

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
In any regard the hairs will fly around,but any that "float" away will be small in number. The highest concentration will be in the general area where the T kicked. They do float but not so much that it will be a problem. As far as cleaning the enclosure and such, I am learning that slow gentle movements cause my Ts to do nothing except walk farther away from the movement. EXCEPT my rosie..she needs to see whats going on.When it is time to change substrate (once or twice a year) I get as much as I can with out actually digging up the immediate area that they hang out in. Being cautious will go a long way to prevent unwanted hairings.

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what if some hairs fall on the carpet?? if i put my hand or step on it will i get ichty??

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
oh and is the cobalt blue or the blondi worse?? in aggressivness/deffensivness??

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
Any hairs that fall on the floor ehhhhhh MAY cause a little itchyness, but again they will mostly stay in the tank unless your holding the T way up in the air or blowing on it with a fan or somthing. A little vacuuming wil fix that. As far as defensiveness, As pretty as Cobalts are, you will be lucky to see them unless you make quite a few middle of the night visits to your Ts. The cobalt may be a tough T but they tend to stay in their burrows 99% of the time. They may "show" their legs but as soon as they feel movement POOF back down the hole they go. My blondi is only a little girl right now so I am not sure how feisty she will get. SHe is about 2 1/2" to 3" and afraid of everything except crickets. Don't be overly concerned about the hairs that get away, but do be careful when getting in close, a big dose of hairs is somthing you don'e want. Maybe even wear heavy rubber gloves and eye protection ( you already have one bad eye keep the other one safe) Good luck man!! Try to pick up Stan Shultz book "The Tarantula Keepers Guide" It is REALLY helpful. I read it before I got more than the 2 T's I had, and it really helps.

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if i was able to get a t. blondi or a brazilian salmon (Lasiodora parahybana) for the same price which one do you recommend???

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
You will probably like the Salmon more. It will be more visible and really a prettier T over all. Blondis are cool because they are supposed to be the biggest, but if they also have the worst hairs. Theyare not the prettiest T either. Hey, start with the salmon then get a blondi on down the line...you know you won't be able to stop getting new T's. They are an Illness and you are
"da-illest";)

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
the l. parahybana

I have two, (see the L. parahybana thread)..they grow fast, are almost always out...fearless, get huge, and look great.

The t. blondi is awesome also, I dont know how fast they grow, but what I have read is that they are always hidden in their burrow if you give them the "proper" cage set up.

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
lol... thx!:D and i think i MIGHT get the Lasiodora parahybana... but i'm a little iffy about it now.. i might just get an avic and then maybe a chaco or something and i'll go from there!.. don't be suprised if i post a "GOT ME A T. BLONDI" thread though! :D

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
Originally posted by da_illest
if i was able to get a t. blondi or a brazilian salmon (Lasiodora parahybana) for the same price which one do you recommend???
OH the Lasiorda should be much less money too. Check out Swifty's site, he has a nice pic of the Lasiorda.

http://www.swiftinverts.com/

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Get a King Baboon -- they get big and you don't have to worry about hair at all. Of course you might not see it alot. But I think that lots of people state that they see their KB on a fairly regular basis.

Jon

p.s. Are you bothered by hairs yet? I wasn't at first, but now I get quite a reaction.

Atalanta

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Da_illest: My blondi is an adult male and very rarely kicks hairs (probably somewhat atypical of the species) - in fact, he has only done it once since I brought him home in September, and that was during a terrarium transfer. He demonstrates defensiveness primarily by stridulation (hissing).

As far as cleaning his terrarium goes, I did notice slight skin irritation from the hairs he uses to line his webbing and substrate. In fact, since his last molt, he has developed the typical "bald spot," and it has been speculated that it is from this, not hair-kicking. So whether you get a blondi that kicks hair or not, there is still the possibility of skin irritation. I am fortunate enough to not have much of a reaction. You can always wear latex or other gloves to help prevent this. I have not experienced any respiratory irritation but wouldn't want to test this!

As far as hiding goes, he has a half-log burrow and is under it a lot, but he also ventures out to get food and water and occasionally to look for a girlfriend. Parahybanas you will see more.

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had a Rosie then got a few Avics. Then a Red Knee and a Green Bottle Blue and a ½ dozen scorpions .. then I figured Id be ready for a Cobalt Blue. Wrong , this T to this day has me freaked

LOL!!=D The Cobalt was my second T! Wooo~Whoo!!! That first day was exciting!! And don't even get me started on cage transfer~gotta have a clean pair of underwear on standby!:D =D

Oh, and I'd get a Salmon pink personally. They seem like big, bold spiders that definately make a great display T! I can't wait till my little sling grows up! He's such a feisty little fella too. Readily attacks the straw and tweezers. Doesn't look like it's biting but it'll go over and give a nice "whack!" with the front legs. I just think "aaawww! look at the little devil go!":D

BBlack

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Don't know about you Illest but I'm sold.

Lasiodora parahybana may just be on my new year T list.