Urgent question regarding hatching huntsman egg sacs

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Its urgent because i may have an egg sac soon and need the enclosure sorted out now. I cant have a single one escape, i would have to get rid of my entire collection else. What kind of enclosure would do for adults and their hatching offspring?
Need something where i can add food and remove spiders without having any escape.

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The slits are far too big.

Has everyone whose ever bred huntsmans vanished off the face of the earth or something?
Cant find any info about this anywhere.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Never tried to contain them but I've observed them hatching quite a few times. Maybe if I describe you can reach your own conclusions. Venatoria, in the wild. Usually seem to start hatching in the early evenings. Mom likes to find a place high up a wall and faces downward. The slings immediately start wandering off. From first to last there are usually around 100 to 200 slings taking about an hour to 2 hours. By the time the last sling is out the first ones will have wandered many feet away going in all directions. 6 hours after the start I saw the slings covering our entire carport with many more having wandered off. By dawn they had all wandered off.
So containing them would be a huge challenge. They are strong though they don't have an adults speed and are easy to catch. The problem is you can't catch them near the mother or she will run and you will have them sprayed across the landscape.

I have thought the ideal set up would be a large terrarium with one wall of glass and all other surfaces painted white so you can see them. Attached to that would be a second all white box with a large connecting hole they can crawl through. You collect the slings in the second box as they wander in which would be out of sight of the mom. It would take many hours of course to corral them all and you would have to be very diligent but I think it could be done. Then house or release the slings. In housing them the access port would need to be white so you can see any lurkers nearby.

Of course the older they get the faster they are. I can't imagine keeping more than 3 or 4 and possibly hope to not have an escapee now and then.

Here's a mom. It's about an hour after they started hatching. There's only one sling near her and the rest are covering about a 5 foot across area around her. Her leg span is almost 6 inches so you get an idea how large the slings will be. Maybe a 1/4 inch leg span.

You could also try educating your spider detractors in the amazing and harmless Huntsman. They make wonderful guests and wandering your house in the evening they are much more entertaining than TV.

OH! The slings are very easy to catch. They have no fear about crawling on you so just let them get on your hand they blow them off into the container.

Last edited:

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Nylon is a good material to keep the slings from dispersing all over your room :D

Edit: A large cylindrical container is useful.

aznative86

Arachnosquire
I just had a large batch of these hatch a month ago, and if I was you I would do the transporting outside. I had some get loose in my house, luckly I am old enough I dont gotta answer to anyone but still we found them on the ceiling for a few weeks after lol. They are super quick and your gonna be dealing with around 100+, best thing to do is get them out and inside a secure container before they fully hatch out. I got another one getting ready to go again and thats what I am going to do. I can be certain one will escape

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
When you notice the slings are starting to emerge, place the enclosure in a tub with vaseline smeared near the inner rim of the tub, this will keep any baby huntsman from totally escaping. Open the enclosure and simply catch the slings and place them in individual containers. I would Keep your huntsman how she is for now until the eggs hatch but if you're really worried about it, just set up the tub with vaseline right now and keep her enclosure in there until you notice the slings.

djberthel

Arachnopeon
Hello,

My female H. venatoria is currently protecting her egg sac, and has been been sitting upon it for nearly a week. How do I know when it is a good time is to remove the sac and place them in a suitable container BEFORE they hatch? I need to separate them from the mother before they hatch, because the container is not suitable for the slings.

Thank you for your assistance.