Urgent question: Can my new P. sazimai live in a very small deli cup for 2 days? (Photos)

Angelala

Arachnopeon
Hi guys!

Just came home from my local reptile expo with a large, unexpected P. sazimai. I didn't realize until I got home that I don't have enough substrate for her new enclosure (DUMB, I know - I ran out last week and totally forgot).

She's in this small 32oz deli cup (SEE BELOW FOR PICS) from the show. They're closed now or I'd go back for substrate. I had to order from Amazon, and I paid for the quickest delivery which says it'll either be tomorrow or Tuesday.

Will she be okay in this enclosure until Tuesday (it's now 6:30pm on Sunday), or will this harm her? I should add that since this is day 2 of the convention, she has likely been in there for a day or two already.

I have just enough substrate to line the bottom of her new enclosure, but I'm hesitant to do that & put her in there in case she climbs up the sides, falls, and doesn't have enough substrate to cushion her fall.

Please let me know if you think it's dangerous or bad to leave her in the deli cup until Tues, I'll find a way to track down some alternate substrate tomorrow morning (maybe some vermiculite or something from the gardening centre) if there's any risk involved with waiting for the Amazon delivery.

Finally, just a disclaimer: I know one should always be prepared before bringing any new pet home, and I usually am, I just had a brain fart this time about how much substrate I had left. I know I goofed.

Thanks guys!

Attachments

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Can you post a picture of that T. with flash?? It looks very dark for a P. sazimai since they're blue.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Agree with the above. They can be kept in containers that size for quite some time, although that is not recommended due to it stressing the tarantula and possibly leading to health problems, especially if it needs to molt.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Angelala

Arachnopeon
FFFBF31B-409D-4FA6-9B58-BEC50BC278B0.jpeg
Can you post a picture of that T. with flash?? It looks very dark for a P. sazimai since they're blue.
The dealer told me that they go through phases where they're almost black, to back where they're blue again after a moult, and that she was in a "darker phase". Here's a photo with flash:

Last edited by a moderator:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
The dealer told me that they go through phases where they're almost black, to back where they're blue again after a moult, and that she was in a "darker phase". Here's a photo with flash:
Yep, it's a P. sazimai. I just had to make sure. :smug:;)

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
She'll be fine for a few days in there, yes. If she seems stressed, put her in a dark area.

I don't know what type of fancy substrate you ordered, but a $2.00 bag of plain top soil from any gardening shop is a great option!

Angelala

Arachnopeon
She'll be fine for a few days in there, yes. If she seems stressed, put her in a dark area.

I don't know what type of fancy substrate you ordered, but a $2.00 bag of plain top soil from any gardening shop is a great option!
Oh thanks for the suggestion! I usually use coco fibre, and sprinkle some spagnum moss over it for a bit of added moisture. :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
yes

Oh thanks for the suggestion! I usually use coco fibre, and sprinkle some spagnum moss over it for a bit of added moisture. :)
The soil has to be pure, it cannot have anything in it, ie chemicals etc

Last edited by a moderator:

Stratton

Arachnopeon
I'm basically a beginner at owning T's but as for the biological aspect of things I'm pretty well learned. It will be fine for a few days in the cup because, for the most part, they really don't care if they are cramped, most spend the majority of their lives in a burrow or a little hole in a tree or web tube remember. As long as it's not more than 3 or 4 days it will be fine. If it's going to be longer than that, you can always make a temporary enclosure with whatever container you have handy and some paper towel as substrate. It's not great but it will at least allow your little one to find a hide or something so it won't be stressed while you get what you need.