Urgent ID needed.

peterUK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I visited a shop that i dont usually use today. While i was looking at the spiders a Chav (English version of trailer park trash) stood next to me and asked if i liked scorpions. I said yes and he then asked me if I wanted to buy his 2 because the shop owner only wanted to give him £10 for them. When asked what species he said 'American hairy ones' I asssumed he meant 'Arizona hairy' (Hadrurus arizonensis). After a brief haggle we settled for a price of £15 for the 2 .... sight unseen as of yet. We left the shop to get the scorps from his car.
The scorpions were about 2 1/2 to 2 3/4in TL and they were NOT Hadrurus arizonensis. I didnt of course tell him and paid him the money, I went back to my car and got some tape to make sure they were VERY securely taped up.

I think I know what they are but would like a few second opinions. As far as i can tell they are 2 males.

If they are what I think they are, Im in a bit of a position because they are illegal in the UK without expensive licences, insurance etc etc but I felt i had to get them from the retarded inbred for his and more importantly, the publics safety.

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Peter,

They appear to be Androctonus amoreuxi.

Cheers,
Ryan

peterUK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks Ryan

Great minds think alike it seems :clap: :clap: :clap:

I have posted the pics on a UK forum and so far only one reply which seems to think its a Vaejovis spec, possibly spinigerus ?

TheDill

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yea i dont think its an androctonus the tails not thick enough..but its prolly a bark scorpion of some type..i would give him some wood or bark so he can climb..they love it

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You could call it a Vaejovis, but it would be the most venomous vaejovis in exsistence. Things that says it isn't a vaejovis are...

Pedipalp shape is much differnt (Veajovis being much more bulbous). Carapice has far more going on than a vaejovis. Color pattern is blatently differnt. Metasoma isn't even close. (If it was a vaejovis (especially spingerus) the fifth segment would be much, much more distinct.) The markings on the metasoma is not even close... The list could go on and on. Ryans ID is very accurate. :)

LOL, The Dill.... absolutely not a bark scorpion.

genzo22

Arachnopeon
Though I know nothing about scorpions the bottom 2 pictures do look a lot like the bark scorpions I found the other night and caught.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=105905

The first picture is probably the best to get a close look. Of course again I know nothing of scorpions just that I catch them so there may be some minor differences that I would never notice.

peterUK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think that if you look at the two species you will see that they are totally a different shape and that your species has a distinctive pattern on their back.

TheDill

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yea i dont no what i was thinking when i said that..those top picture made it look more brown than how it is yellow in the bottom ones..must be an amoreuxi

PhilK

Arachnolord
Old Timer
What's so bad about these guys? Endangering the public etc..? Will they kill people?

peterUK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So is it one that isnt allowed? high toxcity level?
xxxx
All scorpions of the the Buthidae family need a licence to keep.

Where i live, you have to post a notice on the front of your house for 28 days, large enough so that the public can see it stating that you intend to keep xxxx animal(s) so that any member of the public can object if they want to. (never mind that you advertise to the local thieves that you keep exotic/dangerous animals)
The licence costs from £50 to £1500 per year depending on the local authority, insurance costs about £250 -£350 for the first animal per year PLUS you have to pay for a visit from a vet appointed by the local authority who usually has no idea on exotic animals but who has the final say on the captive conditions.

Reading this may make you glad you dont live in the UK :confused:

http://www.captivebred.co.uk/dwwaainfo2.htm