UPS / USPS / FedEx

Embers To Ashes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What postal servace would you recomend for shipping tarantulas?

Would the Ts be bothered by being in a plane? It seems like the high altatude and the low temp in the cargo would not be good for them.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think it's against the law to ship tarantulas in the mail.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If anything somewhat ot legal, would be Fedex.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This has been answered again and again... Next time, please use the search function... Just to avoid an ugly debate. :)

Embers To Ashes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This has been answered again and again... Next time, please use the search function... Just to avoid an ugly debate. :)
I did use the search function. All I came up with where unrelated posts.

---------- Post added at 08:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 AM ----------

I think it's against the law to ship tarantulas in the mail.
Then how would people get Ts through this site?

Raven9464

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
FedEx
And NO it's not illegal in the U.S.
It it was, then I am about to be arrected for excepting illegal shipments LOL

jrzyspider

Arachnopeon
Well, I had mine held at the FedEx station so I wouldn't be bouncing around in a truck all day. So I went to pick it up and the woman at the counter managed to push the box off the edge. I then said be careful because there's a live animal in there. So what does she do? Turns the box upside down to look at the bottom even though all the labeling was on top.

UPS has NEVER delivered a box to me that wasn't damaged or literally had a footprint on it. Once the driver saw me in the driveway and yelled, "Catch!" I turned around and he had tossed a box to me from about 12 feet away that had something fragile in it.

USPS has always delivered things to me reliably but I don't know if T's can be shipped by them.

So there's my experiences.

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's is illegal to ship venomous animals via usp/usps. I believe it's a grey around fed ex. Anyone who thinks different is wrong and should check into usp and usps regulations. This question has been answered several times before.

Matt

beat me to it Fran lol

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Embers To Ashes said:
Then how would people get Ts through this site?
People do it anyway.

I've never heard of anyone using UPS; all shipments I've received were via USPS (Express) or FedEx. FedEx is more reliable and provides more up-to-date tracking, but can be way more expensive. Only one package I've ever received actually had a disclosure of live animals inside -- and even then, it was marked as "harmless millipedes and/or lizards." I could be wrong, but I think very few people ship Ts legally, at least in the US.

animalnstinct

Arachnopeon
It's illegal through USPS. What's worse about taking that risk is not only can the shipper be charged, so can you for accepting the package. No claiming innocence or ignorance; if you don't know what's in a package you're not supposed to accept it, so they can and will charge you if caught.

It's not illegal through FedEx or UPS. It's simply against their policies. They will return or more likely destroy the package if discovered but you probably won't be charged with anything. FedEx just recently tightened their restrictions on live animals, but since those of us in the hobby are the only ones that consider Ts an animal and not just a thing, I feel no guilt using them. :)

pocock1899

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
USFWS regulations have a marking requirement under the Lacey Act. It says that live animals being shipped interstate must be labeled on the box, regardless of which shipper you use.

It's possible they could use this against you if they caught you shipping live animals against their policies.

For larger or more valuable shipments (like a falconry bird for example), many folks I know use some of the services the airlines offer, like Delta Dash. It can be more expensive, but they are more reliable and easier on the animals. JMO.

The downside is that your consignee must pick the animals up at an airport that's served by the airline.

You did mention a good point... If the shipper doesn't know there are live animals in the cargo hold, they are under no requirements to maintain livable temperatures back there. If there are live animals in the shipment (and they know it), there are some regulations (IATA for instance) that require them to maintain humane conditions.

Last edited:

LV-426

Arachnobaron
I work for UPS, i wouldnt use them personally i see what goes on in there. all the Ts i ordered online came via FedEx and they all arrived in perfect condition