Uphill battle with landlord......

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
The working word here is 'Pet'. You do not have tarantula pets. Nobody ever has tarantula pets. Sometimes however, tarantulas (and other arachs) keep the occasional human as a slave. But that hardly counts in the no pet policy. :)
Seriously, what constitutes a pet? Surely us spider wranglers can out think a pedantic residence renter.

Seink

Arachnopeon
Very true indeed....>_<

at the very moment when the spider becomes our liability, we have the obligation to put them in an enclosure to prevent them from harm, feed them even after they grow old and let them walk around us so we can be entertained!!!!

In other words, i am my spider's SLAVE!!! It's just that the spider are too lazy to care what constitute of their rights and freedom. Any attempt to question our/their method of livelihood is being hissed and threatened.....o_O

Milo

Arachnopeon
I have a similar problem, in that I'll be moving in with a relative (who has no problem with my black emperors, i should add in frustration) who refuses to let me keep even ONE tarantula. I'm going there for university (decent rent, local to campus) and I've stayed there for summers while I work with him. He claims to be "phobic: i kill them on sight." not the definition of phobic, i know, but its senseless to argue because he's actually the smartest and most stubborn perosn I've ever met. I claimed to be arachnophobic in the past but after being introduced to them and getting over the initial "heebie jeebies", i am absolutely fascinated!

how can i desensitize him, or show him the less creepy side of tarantulas?

You'd think homosexuals would be more liberal :(

ilovebugs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
your post was funny.

I think you have some good advice to work with here.

I have a friend who's dorm lady said they could only keep pets that could "stay under water for 24 hours" which if I'm correct leaves out pretty much everything but fish. Although my goldfish's mouth comes out of the water sometimes.

I'll leave you with this:

"better to ask forgiveness than permission"

:) good luck.

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I guess I must be quite lucky with my university house. I did ask about keeping pets and was told “no” but when I looked up my contract it did indeed mention no pets but it was worded as such…

“Tenants must not keep mammals, birds or reptiles.”

Until then I had smuggled them in but we’re always given notice of an inspection (they are required to do this by law, maybe your landlord will be too). I always found that if the house was hovered, dusted etc before the inspectors came then they wouldn’t look any further than a first glance.

Good luck

Milo

Arachnopeon
Milo: 1; Dorm Lady: nothing

ilovebugs said:
I have a friend who's dorm lady said they could only keep pets that could "stay under water for 24 hours" which if I'm correct leaves out pretty much everything but fish.
For the record, I know that the Emperor Scorpion (and others too, I assume) can survive underwater for not only one, but TWO days. Apparently the can slow theyre metabolism to a crawl by shutting down systems or something. Therefore they can survive a year without food, because they are using retained energies at such a slow pace. By the same token, and the fact that arachnids have book lungs and don't actually breathe, they can survive 2 days after being cut off from oxygen.

That's what I read on a ocuple articles anyways. It may be a myth, but you won't catch me tyring it on mine, just in case.

VesAn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My apartment's also got a no-pets policy. What I did was while the housing agent was showing me the apartment, I casually asked some questions like where's the laundry facility, does the microwave there come with the place, and lastly asked whether a fish was ok.

She replied "yeah, you got a fish?", to which I replied, "actually, a scorpion", then I went on to explain about how it stays in a tank at all times and is quiet, don't poop/pee on the carpet and whatnot, and she said that it should be ok, and that by "pets" the housing management place really meant dogs and whatnot that is capable of damaging the apartment and/or disturbing the neighbors.

So now my Ts, scorp, pede and colony of roaches is with me in my place :)

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
VesAn said:
She replied "yeah, you got a fish?", to which I replied, "actually, a scorpion", then I went on to explain about how it stays in a tank at all times and is quiet, don't poop/pee on the carpet and whatnot, and she said that it should be ok, and that by "pets" the housing management place really meant dogs and whatnot that is capable of damaging the apartment and/or disturbing the neighbors.
Pretty much the same story for us...

CreepyCrawly

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The aquarium question is the best. It is honest enough, if they are to find your aquarium they could not raise a fuss about what is in it.

When I first started looking for apartments I was all up-front and honest to every potential landlord about my pets. I had two basic reactions - some were overly frightened and thought that I must be insane, and some were willing to accept me and my pets - if I forked over a fortune in pet deposits to them. One lady calmly told me that each snake, tarantula, cat, and even fish would require it's own pet deposit. So at the time (when my collection of pets was quite small comparatively) I'd have to pay a $250 non-refundable, and a $200 refundable pet deposit on each pet. That's $450 each for the cat, the two snakes, three tarantulas, six gerbils, and 4 fish. My chinese algae eater was going to cost me $450 in pet deposits - I paid a whole $1.66 for the fish itself!

So I got smart, and switched to asking about "cage pets". They always asked what kind of cage pets, and I would go into a long and overly involged rambling about my pair of gerbils. I would go on and on about how sweet they were, and cute, and how they looked just like little people grooming each other and snuggling with each other, and how I thought that everyone in the world should have a pair of gerbils, because they bring such joy... after a few minutes they lost intrest completely in my "cage pets" and would just say "oh yeah, cage pets are fine..." just to shut me up. Then I got tired of that. Just asking about whether or not you can have an aquarium is good enough. If they ask "Oh do you keep fish? What kinds? Is it saltwater or freshwater?" you can just say "Well, I'm thinking about getting one, I'm not sure yet what kind or anything, but I think having a fishtank would be a nice relaxing hobby." That way you don't have to pretend to know a single thing about filtration systems, or pH, ammonia, nitrate, or nitrite levels.

Of course, the only aquariums I have tarantulas in right now are little betta hexes...

jet

Arachnopeon
When I lived in an apartment last year I told my landlord that I had "delicate pets" and asked that she not spray my apartment when it came time to treat with any pesticides. She asked what I had, so I was honest and told her 30+ T's, 3 Scorpions and 2 snakes. Surprisingly enough, she was open minded and actually facinated. She said as long as they were locked up that she had no problem with them. She even had me bring a few T's and both snakes down to the pool one day so her granddaughter could check them out. Of course the other tenants weren't too impressed knowing what was lurking about upstairs (somewhere?). I choose to tell my landlord because they sprayed every so many months, and I had to play it safe for my babies. Just as a precaution I taped to my door a sign that read "no pesticides per delicate pets." If you do not tell, you may end up with some dead tarantulas. In addition to that, you do not want the maintenance guy coming in to a big surprise and notifying the landlord in the worst of ways.

Brightest Blessings!
Jet