Update on Chile Importation

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This info is coming from my importer from Florida. My importer is stating that certain species is no longer going to be imported from Chile. My importer has a list of tarantulas of the one not going to be imported anymore but he did not have it in his possession when I spoke with him. Appearantly this is why we are seeing Grammostola sp. "Maule", Grammostola sp. "Northern", Grammostola sp "Concepcion" and a few others that are in question of what those species are.
To be clear Petco and other Petshops are selling "Rosehairs" but they are not fully understanding that this "Rosehairs" are listed as "Rosehairs" tarantula (Northern Type) Grammostola sp, "Rosehairs" tarantula (Concepcion type) Grammostola sp. as well.
So as for the list of tarantulas no longer being imported I wish I had the list, if you don't see your common "Rosehair" any longer you'll understand why. As for myself receiving this new update is obviously that Chile is not completly closed. I was under the impression that Chile was completly shutdown. There is some good and some bad to this news to me. Grammostola rosea (RCF) maybe under restriction as well. This is the latest update I have from my importer. Thanks for tuning in.

PS. Please do not believe that Grammostola sp. "Concepcion" is under the scientific name cala. That has not been confirm by taxonomist as far as I know.

Last edited:

Walter1

Arachnosquire
No more RCFs, period. I call them the following:

Common Rosehair of Old= G. porteri.
RCF = G. rosea (might could be wrong).
All others- G. North or G. Concepcion, etc.

Thoughts, outrages, etc.?

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Why isn't Chile closing down exports for all of these species? Why just G. porteri? (And perhaps G. rosea) Don't get me wrong, it's great that we still have some "Rose Hairs", I'm just curious as to why.

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The problem is the name "Grammostola rosea" is under attack from the conservation crowd. So, we are seeing less and less imports of G. porteri and no imports of the G. rosea "RED Rose Hair". We are seeing some some imports of G. "Maule", "Concepcion", and "North Gold". Expect supply to dry up and prices rise on G. porteri and G. rosea going forward. As I warned about 6 yrs. ago, it's overtime for hobbyists to invest their resources into establishing and breeding Chile's tarantulas.

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The problem is the name "Grammostola rosea" is under attack from the conservation crowd. So, we are seeing less and less imports of G. porteri and no imports of the G. rosea "RED Rose Hair". We are seeing some some imports of G. "Maule", "Concepcion", and "North Gold". Expect supply to dry up and prices rise on G. porteri and G. rosea going forward. As I warned about 6 yrs. ago, it's overtime for hobbyists to invest their resources into establishing and breeding Chile's tarantulas.
Also, consider investing in the Euathlus genus as well.

Walter1

Arachnosquire
Ditto on Xenesthis. In Sam Marshall's 1990s T book, he said Rosehairs won't be exported forever nor should be and thought to be captive-bred. Well, I took it to heart and have done alright. I am a biologist first and foremost. I began breeding them in 2012 because I genuinely like them and want well for them. I now include these others with the hope that fellow T keepers will have access to this segment of this world's marvels.

What MUST happen very soon is a serious taxonomic examination of the Chilean Ts, starting with the rosehairs, followed by the weird big scopulae gramms, and then the curious rock-dwelling dwarf Euathlus/Grammostola, like scrofa and dwarf flame and dwarf yellow, etc.

A rant for sure. I only hope a useful one.

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
E.vulpinus(m)1.JPG 100% agree, and I hope a few others will be inspired and truly appreciate Chile's beautiful tarantulas. My personal favorite from Chile: Euathlus vulpinus, but if you want a very docile T that's hardy, long-lived, and beautiful, G. "Concepcion" and G. "Maule" will fit the bill perfectly. See the pic of a mature male E. vulpinus.

Last edited:

Walter1

Arachnosquire
True enough!

All wonderful with sharp-looking males to boot. Give me a bit and I'll post more pics of mine for example.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
View attachment 206095 100% agree, and I hope a few others will be inspired and truly appreciate Chile's beautiful tarantulas. My personal favorite from Chile: Euathlus vulpinus, but if you want a very docile T that's hardy, long-lived, and beautiful, G. "Concepcion" and G. "Maule" will fit the bill perfectly. See the pic of a mature male E. vulpinus.
:astonished:Beautiful t!

I agree, many Chilean t's are underrated, which is why I'm breeding my G. rosea!

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
View attachment 206095 100% agree, and I hope a few others will be inspired and truly appreciate Chile's beautiful tarantulas. My personal favorite from Chile: Euathlus vulpinus, but if you want a very docile T that's hardy, long-lived, and beautiful, G. "Concepcion" and G. "Maule" will fit the bill perfectly. See the pic of a mature male E. vulpinus.
Yes Grammostola sp. "Concepcion" is a great beginners species. Todd, it does not help our hobby by you stating that this species is "cala" your going to confuse people in the long run. Unless you have evidence that "Concepcion" is "cala" I would love to see the abstract documents.

Now I do agree of investing species from Chile before their government decides to shut all doors completly.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
So who's enforcing the ban, the Chilean government , or the exports themselves ? Whats going to stop exporters from just labeling G. porteri as something else?

See the pic of a mature male E. vulpinus.
These were transferred to Phrixotruchus in 2014.

Later, Tom

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yes Grammostola sp. "Concepcion" is a great beginners species. Todd, it does not help our hobby by you stating that this species is "cala" your going to confuse people in the long run. Unless you have evidence that "Concepcion" is "cala" I would love to see the abstract documents.

Now I do agree of investing species from Chile before their government decides to shut all doors completly.
I didn't state it in this thread. It's not official. Everyone knows that. Taxonomy is always in flux now a days.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I didn't state it in this thread. It's not official. Everyone knows that. Taxonomy is always in flux now a days.
I know but your selling them as "cala" technically you are stating that they are. Not everyone knows that and your just going to confuse people.

ironwood

Arachnopeon
I wish I knew exactly what my Rosie is. She's a pet smart purchase ( I know I know) i had about 6 tiny slings and I had to have something bigger and rhere she was for 19.95 so I bought her. I want to breed her. I'm pretty sure she matured her last molt. but I'm not sure exactly what she is

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I wish I knew exactly what my Rosie is. She's a pet smart purchase ( I know I know) i had about 6 tiny slings and I had to have something bigger and rhere she was for 19.95 so I bought her. I want to breed her. I'm pretty sure she matured her last molt. but I'm not sure exactly what she is
Post a pic, Exoskeleton Invertebrates is pretty much a "Rose Hair" expert by now!:embarrassed:

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I know but your selling them as "cala" technically you are stating that they are. Not everyone knows that and your just going to confuse people.
Non issue Jose. My invoices say G. "Concepcion". There was a time that they were thought to be G. cala from European sources, then that was questioned and no info came out of it. It's a dead issue. They are G. "Concepcion" - period.....for now.