Update - Can he pretend to die?

JBoer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=123454

That's the original thread. Just an update sice you've been so kind. Well, I put him in a new enclosure (well, widened it), new sub. I was trying to coax him into being more active, I also boosted his humudity thinking that was the cause. No change, he stayed on the side of the tank with the heat pad under it (he never burrowed for some reason, preffered his hide). He moved to the middle of the tank today and I picked him up by the tail, he tries to pinch if I do that right out of the tank, not this time. Tail is limp, I think he's dying. I'm going to preserve him in alcohol, first scorp. Just got some beautiful B. Jacksoni from JesseD, so I'm not out yet.

Really sorry about the long post, one question though, are the characteristics of premolt the same as predeath?

Pics.

Attachments

JBoer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just checked on him again today, picked him up and he almost struggled with himself in my hand. Almost like he was trying to squeeze out of something too small for him..{D. The back half of the body seems like it's puffed out a bit, the front seems compacted slightly. Could he be molting?

ManicDan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Are you positive it is a he? There may be potential for being gravid... I'm not an expert though, but by the color of the telson I think he is mature, so probably not going to molt. But he is doing better no? Glad for that :D

JBoer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Pretty sure, pectines are longer and the oviculum (sp? tired) is rounder. He's not actually doing too well. I just checked on him again and he BARELY responded, I'll just let him die in peace, he had a good run. Hey, I want to preserve him, should I use isopropyl alcohol or can I use ethyl (specifically, a mickey of vodka (40%))?

ManicDan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would recommend resin casting, someone made a nice write up on it, use the search tool. If you do decide to, don't put it in alcohol first, could put it in the freezer though. I hope everything goes smoothly man, sorry bout your Imp