Unusual looking spider needs ID

turbosnail

Arachnopeon
Hello - sorry but this is my second thread for an ID request on a spider (last time was scorpion) this time came in on blackberries from Mexico to the UK. Unusual looking fella - would be grateful if anyone knows what it is - could it be dangerous etc.

EXOPET

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
gasteracantha sp? thorned orb weaver, loks like a big female, would you sell her?

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Micrathena gracilis. It's a totally harmless little orbweaving spider.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
i'll second micrathena. was thinking that when i first saw the pic.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I know you're looking for scientific name and all...

I was wondering from some of the true spider experts around here though, wouldn't these also be considered crab spiders? I guess they're all bunched up into the 'orbweaver' category regardless, but I just wanted to check. We have something similar to that in Hawaii and that's what we called them, although the markings and abdominal structure were a little varied from this species.

Anyway...

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i don't think crab spiders make much of a web. so that would rule them out. i am no authority on spiders, but besides anatomical similarities aren't the orb weavers bunched up because of their web making abilities? i see your point however, so many spiders look alike. theres a thread on here somewhere where a member had mentioned why aren't tarantulas considered the true spiders since they were here first. thought that was an interesting idea.

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I know you're looking for scientific name and all...

I was wondering from some of the true spider experts around here though, wouldn't these also be considered crab spiders? I guess they're all bunched up into the 'orbweaver' category regardless, but I just wanted to check. We have something similar to that in Hawaii and that's what we called them, although the markings and abdominal structure were a little varied from this species.

Anyway...
Can you post some pictures of these crab spiders? Might be interesting to compare. The UK spider (or the spider that ended up in the UK) is definitely an orb weaver, though.

Last edited:

saltyscissors

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
there's a few families that are called "crab spiders". These are Thomisidae (regular crab spiders) , Sparassidae (giant crab spiders, or huntsmen) , Selenopidae (wall crab spiders), Philodromidae (running crab spiders) and these spiny orb weavers, which are COMPLETELY different to the aforementioned families.
I don't think the huntsmen are grouped with any other families, nor are Selenopidae, but the Thomisidae and Philodromidae form a superfamily known as the Thomisoidea. Thought I'd clear that up.

and yeah, looks like Micrathena sp.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
"Crab spiders" are hunters, not web-builders. All appearance aside, the spider is grouped by its ecology. Crab spiders hang out on flowers, weeds etc. and ambush prey. "Orb weavers" build the classic pinwheel webs and prey primarily on flying insects. They also have much different leg proportions ( relying on spinning webs around prey to isolate and capture, rather than leg strength ).

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I see these guys all over the place in the mid-atlantic region. They're pretty freaky looking, to be sure. They also seem to quite like to make a web directly at face height in the middle of a trail. As such although they're not dangerously venomous (at all) they are still potentially lethal by way of inducing a heart attack in unwary, thin-skinned hikers.

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Aww man, now I want to go check every fruit container from other countries at the grocery store. It's like crackerjacks, with a different spider prize inside every box!

Sure looks cool. :D

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I see these guys all over the place in the mid-atlantic region. They're pretty freaky looking, to be sure. They also seem to quite like to make a web directly at face height in the middle of a trail. As such although they're not dangerously venomous (at all) they are still potentially lethal by way of inducing a heart attack in unwary, thin-skinned hikers.
LOL!!! That is SO true!!! One of the first things I did, when I arrived at this new school, was to check out a local patch of woods for local arachnid fauna...and two or three times, BAM, right in the face: M. gracilis webs. It's pretty strong silk, and the spiders blend in against the woodland background, so you don't see it coming until the web is all over your face!!

I agree...these could induce some serious cardiac arrest, without ever biting.

marquy

Arachnopeon
These guys are pretty cool. I tried to keep one in captivity, but it didn't work out so I let her go. I think they need the wide open spaces to feel really comfortable.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Aww man, now I want to go check every fruit container from other countries at the grocery store. It's like crackerjacks, with a different spider prize inside every box!

{D I was thinking the same thing! Especially when I hear of the giant spiders found on bananas lol

Very cool looking spider!

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Im probably the only browsing the fruit and veg for exotic nasties but i never find any :(
Found an exotic jumper in the garden centre once :p
BTW i'll post some crab spider pics up in this section if anyone wants to see our native Misumena vatia.

turbosnail

Arachnopeon

Sure looks cool. :D
That's why fruit is quality controlled before it reaches the consumer - unfortunately most people prefer not to find creepy crawlies in their food, lol!

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My mother once showed me that a bunch of bananas she had bought had an eggsac on it. It hatched, and I attempted to rear the slings ( not sure what species, but they were 100% Ctenids ) but they all died :(