Unusual but funny behavior

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
My A. seemani was doing some home improvement on his burrow and dug up an old molt from a few months ago. I then watched him drag it out of his burrow and cram it into his water dish. He didn't just leave it in there....he actively mashed it up with his legs and chelicerae like he was making some sort of weird molt/ substrate soup in his water dish. He wasn't trying to eat it either...he actually was ripping it up and squishing it into his water dish! I wonder what he was attempting to accomplish. Here's a photo of his masterpiece. What are some baffling (but funny) behaviors your tarantulas have done that have left you guys both laughing and scratching your heads? IMG_20200715_012919719.jpg IMG_20200715_012919719.jpg

Lolth62

Arachnosquire
That's hilarious, my juvie B.cabocl carried the molt all the way to the water dish for me but I've never caught any dancing on it 😂🕷

Nongkym

Arachnopeon
Perhaps your T was cleaning house by washing the molt and compressing it to take up less space. Such a great feeling to have a clean and tidy home!

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Well i have one T that launches balls of substrate around her container with her pedipalps and front feet. She has also on one occasion participated in a tug-of-war match against me over a piece of spagnum moss

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
Just a few nights ago, I watched my 3/4" N. tripepii yank its molt out of its burrow, shove it in its water dish, and then shovel several loads of dirt on top 😂 A proper burial for its old exo

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Just a few nights ago, I watched my 3/4" N. tripepii yank its molt out of its burrow, shove it in its water dish, and then shovel several loads of dirt on top 😂 A proper burial for its old exo
Be extra respectful for the next few days in order to allow him to mourn the loss of his former self. A candlelight vigil might help him mourn properly.

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
Be extra respectful for the next few days in order to allow him to mourn the loss of his former self. A candlelight vigil might help him mourn properly.
Oh definitely, everyone on here knows that, it's basic tarantula care! They have very sensitive emotions, you need to keep that in mind when disposing of molts. I only use the finest, tiniest mahogany coffins. And don't forget the funeral flowers!

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
My versi sling tore down part of it's web to sneak past the big bad cricket to get to it's resting spot :rofl:

khalil

Arachnopeon
My A. seemani was doing some home improvement on his burrow and dug up an old molt from a few months ago. I then watched him drag it out of his burrow and cram it into his water dish. He didn't just leave it in there....he actively mashed it up with his legs and chelicerae like he was making some sort of weird molt/ substrate soup in his water dish. He wasn't trying to eat it either...he actually was ripping it up and squishing it into his water dish! I wonder what he was attempting to accomplish.
the early men learned to wash their clothes when they saw this behavior:bag:

Garnet3942

Arachnosquire
My A. seemani was doing some home improvement on his burrow and dug up an old molt from a few months ago. I then watched him drag it out of his burrow and cram it into his water dish. He didn't just leave it in there....he actively mashed it up with his legs and chelicerae like he was making some sort of weird molt/ substrate soup in his water dish. He wasn't trying to eat it either...he actually was ripping it up and squishing it into his water dish! I wonder what he was attempting to accomplish. Here's a photo of his masterpiece. What are some baffling (but funny) behaviors your tarantulas have done that have left you guys both laughing and scratching your heads? View attachment 352628 View attachment 352628
Lol I have the same water dish ready for it when it's older lol. Oh and they drink the liquid off of it to regain lost energy do they might do that lol. I have not seen my T do this but that's pretty funny!

Garnet3942

Arachnosquire
One of my G pulchra slings seems to do handstands in one particular corner of its enclosure.
Lol I wanna see that! My G. Pulchra when I feed it on it's feeding day it's in the front part of it and it wrestles with the worm then drags it into the right back corner and eats it. The sling will sometimes walk around the cage with it hanging out of it's mouth. A few days ago it tried to escape it was quite funny to watch as I saw it waving its legs out of the holes and realised it was to big and fat to escape lol. It decided to try again in a different place same results lol. I love my T! So silly.

Garnet3942

Arachnosquire
My A. seemani was doing some home improvement on his burrow and dug up an old molt from a few months ago. I then watched him drag it out of his burrow and cram it into his water dish. He didn't just leave it in there....he actively mashed it up with his legs and chelicerae like he was making some sort of weird molt/ substrate soup in his water dish. He wasn't trying to eat it either...he actually was ripping it up and squishing it into his water dish! I wonder what he was attempting to accomplish. Here's a photo of his masterpiece. What are some baffling (but funny) behaviors your tarantulas have done that have left you guys both laughing and scratching your heads? View attachment 352628 View attachment 352628
A week before mine molted it flipped upside down and I got so excited that it was molting that I posted a thread! Then it well um starting digging underground it came out the morning after and no fresh molt :( weird sling lol, not to mention the week after it sat on a leaf and molted upright, what a strange spider XD

purplephilia

Arachnolurker
Lol I wanna see that! My G. Pulchra when I feed it on it's feeding day it's in the front part of it and it wrestles with the worm then drags it into the right back corner and eats it. The sling will sometimes walk around the cage with it hanging out of it's mouth. A few days ago it tried to escape it was quite funny to watch as I saw it waving its legs out of the holes and realised it was to big and fat to escape lol. It decided to try again in a different place same results lol. I love my T! So silly.
I've actually tried taking a picture or video of it but it's hard to get a clear picture through the lid of the enclosure. =/ Imma try again whenever I see it in that corner again. My Pseudhapalopus sp blue used to stick her legs through the vent holes aaaall the time in her old enclosure it was so cute!

Tigger

Arachnopeon
Yeah, my 1.5 inch T. albo sling just stuffed it molt in it's water dish the other day. Didn't tear it up but...

y tho.jpg

I also have a G. pulchripes the same size that apparently didn't get the memo about tarantulas not liking to be handled. Every time I take the lid of it's enclosure it very calmly but very detrminedly tries to get out of it's enclosure. It's three sac mates bolt for their hides as soon as I touch the enclosure but this one apparently likes to travel. The first time it happened I put my hand out - not to handle it but as a wall. It just climbed up my hand. I then spent a solid 5 minutes trying to get it back in the enclosure. I kept trying to nudge it in the right direcction but it would either walk around my finger, dig it's heels in or stick it's butt in the air. Very stubborn.

Adrinium

Arachnosquire
My super tiny A. hentzi sling took his meal out of his burrow and then buried it, which makes sense

Coradams

Arachnoknight
I once had a B. boehmei sling that spent three days trying to move a silk plant. Any given time, it had at least two feet pushing on a lower leaf as hard as it could but he couldn't do more than curl the leaf a little. He is bigger now and in a bigger enclosure but the plant is still with him. He is big enough to move it now. Often when I check on him, the plant is in a different place. I figure its his room, he can decorate it the way he wants.

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
My t specifically put dirt in her water dish for nearly a month until the pile was 3" tall. I have actually considered adding a dirt bucket for her!