Unsure about my Nhandu Coloratovillosus

KdeBruyn

Arachnosquire
IMG_8107.JPG I've kept tarantulas for over a year now, one thing I have learnt over the year is to leave them to do their thing if in doubt. The only reason I'm asking about this, is because I have left my tarantula alone, but I've seen something which I haven't seen before, which I'm unsure about. So this tarantula I got back in March, she ate a few times, and then for about 5 months she hasn't eaten since. I took this picture after noticing the abdomen was sort of 'caving in' on the left side, as well as noticing that black spot above the book lung and I have no idea what that is. I suspect the crumpled abdomen suggests premolt because the smaller new abdomen would be underneath it, but I haven't seen it on any of my Ts during premolt before, so I can't be sure. Could the black spot be a rupture and explain the shrivelled abdomen and lack of appetite? I have no idea. I noticed they drink water a lot more than any of my other Ts. Any ideas? Just another premolt? Thanks

Okay I just had more of a look at that black spot. It actually looks like a gauge of some sort. Never seen that before.

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
I took this picture after noticing the abdomen was sort of 'caving in' on the left side, as well as noticing that black spot above the book lung and I have no idea what that is. I suspect the crumpled abdomen suggests premolt because the smaller new abdomen would be underneath
No, the opposite would be true....a crumpled abdomen is a sign of a serious issue...generally dehydration....But injury could probably have a similar effect I suppose.

Could the black spot be a rupture and explain the shrivelled abdomen and lack of appetite? I
Could b, that's not a very good pick of the black spot.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
if wild caught it may be a small headed fly larvae embedded in the book lung. this parasitoid only kills spiders upon maturity

KdeBruyn

Arachnosquire
if wild caught it may be a small headed fly larvae embedded in the book lung. this parasitoid only kills spiders upon maturity
I bought him/her at an invert show back in March. I'd have no idea if she were wild caught. I bought a g.pulchra from the same table and that T has no problems. This is the first I've ever come across with any of my Ts.

cold blood

Staff member
I doubt it would be WC.....its easily bred and fast growing...and pretty inexpensive....where would the advantage be in smuggling such a t. Brazil's exportation is closed afterall.

KdeBruyn

Arachnosquire
Is there anything I can do for her? She always has a full fresh water dish. Sometimes these small isopods develop in the waterdish, but this occurs with all my tarantula enclosures regardless of what substrate I buy. If I see them I clean out the water dish asap.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I doubt it would be WC.....its easily bred and fast growing...and pretty inexpensive....where would the advantage be in smuggling such a t. Brazil's exportation is closed afterall.
assuming the seller isnt a smuggler :p there's been alot of big names caught red-handed in recent years too.

but yeah that was just an 'if' from me anyway lol

KdeBruyn

Arachnosquire
So the black spot is white in the middle. Assuming that could be eggs, essentially my tarantula could be being eaten from the inside, explaining the crumpled abdomen and discoloured appearance? If that’s the case I don’t think there’s any point allowing the T to continue through that pain. This is horrible.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
So the black spot is white in the middle. Assuming that could be eggs, essentially my tarantula could be being eaten from the inside, explaining the crumpled abdomen and discoloured appearance? If that’s the case I don’t think there’s any point allowing the T to continue through that pain. This is horrible.
nah i doubt its smuggled, dont worry its probably just a booboo and leaking hemolymph. small headed flies arent like tarantula hawks, they dont even begin feeding until the spider is large enough which takes several years

also, small-headed flies dont lay eggs in their prey, they drop one by a burrow or silk and the larvae hatches and embeds itself in a book lung then goes dormant promptly for up to 7-10 years or so when maturation of the tarantula triggers the feeding response.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Well we can see that it likes to climb (or at least will climb). Is there anything in the enclosure that it could have fallen on and injured itself on?

KdeBruyn

Arachnosquire
Well we can see that it likes to climb (or at least will climb). Is there anything in the enclosure that it could have fallen on and injured itself on?
Nope. There's a piece of cork bark as a hide. Other than that there's just a plant and a water dish.

IMG_8125.JPG Here she is, walking around as usual. I noticed she's struggling to keep her footing on the sides of the tank now. Another thing I noticed is her abdomen caves in from the top as well. I tried taking a picture but it's hard to see from the photo under all the fluff on her abdomen. Looking much less colourful than when I got her, perhaps approaching a molt, or perhaps ill I don't know. 59209267338__38AAC3C8-37AB-4F89-AA57-D4E0431CF33B.JPG IMG_8127.JPG

On a side note she made a fresh poop which looks as normal as it would from any of my other Ts. Dunno what she's pooping out given she hasn't eaten for 5 months.

KdeBruyn

Arachnosquire
Well he died. He was walking around when I got home for lunch. Came back after work and found him upside down curled up. This is my first tarantula death. Gonna go bury him in the garden.

cold blood

Staff member
Well he died. He was walking around when I got home for lunch. Came back after work and found him upside down curled up. This is my first tarantula death. Gonna go bury him in the garden.
Tarantulas don't die upside down dude. They go on their backs to molt.

KdeBruyn

Arachnosquire
Tarantulas don't die upside down dude. They go on their backs to molt.
He's dead. I've had dozens of molts with my other Ts. There's no webbing like the standard procedure. He was curled up leaning against the water dish. I suspect he fell down and died upside-down this way when he was sitting on the side of the enclosure.

IMG_8147.JPG Gently stroked him with a paint brush. Cold as a rock.

Had a look at that black spot above the book lung. It looked a bit deeper than I the picture showed. Never got to see it before because it was wedged between the back leg and the abdomen.

Eva

Arachnosquire
I am sorry for your loss. There was probably nothing you could have done whether this was an injury or a parasite, so don't beat yourself up!
Have you had a chance to take some good pictures of the affected area by any chance? Does it look like something crawled out of it? If so, you should probably burn the substrate and decorations, to kill any nasties.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I am worried about one of mine that is showing signs of a caving in abdomen despite access to food and water at all times.
20221230_200327.jpg

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Reading the original account here and seeing the enclosure, my guess is that OP's spider was climbing a lot, fell on either the cork or the water dish, and sustained a fatal injury. I agree with OP that it looks like the spider fell one final time and then croaked, hence being positioned on its back.

Seeing your picture in the other thread, looks like a lot of vertical space in the container and possibly a similar situation. Just a thought based on piecing together a few details here though... I could be completely wrong. Never experienced something like this personally.