Unpacking P. murinus problems and solutions

blash

Arachnopeon
Hello,
i have had to unpack several P. murinus in my life and it never went well. Basically, whenever i open a package and remove the tissue, this species is going to run. :(

So i have had the idea to use one of my spare roach tanks for unpacking those. I put a thin vegetable oil film on all sides of the roach tank, the new enclosure in the middle and then i unpack her. As usual she sprints out and tries to climb up the walls but she slips. Then i just put a tight lid on the roach tank and wait until she walks in the terrarium.

Any comments? Is this ridiculous? Could oil harm her legs? Have you had similar problems with this specific species?

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Yup, I've had similar problems with quick, feisty arboreals and my very own Pterinochilus sp.:eek:
So, I thought up this method. It's faster, easier, and less oily!
It might be tricky with larger enclosures, but unpackings are a piece of cake.

try it, see if it works out for ya.

Tim R.

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very clever, I'll be using that bag trick myself thanks.

Croaton

Arachnosquire
Wow yeah that is a great system! I was getting a bit worried about having to transfer the two P. murinus I have coming on Friday! I am glad I found your thread!

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yup, I've had similar problems with quick, feisty arboreals and my very own Pterinochilus sp.:eek:
So, I thought up this method. It's faster, easier, and less oily!
It might be tricky with larger enclosures, but unpackings are a piece of cake.

try it, see if it works out for ya.
You're a GENIUS.

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice! "Tarantula Containment Pouch" {D{D (I couldn't figure out how to make my computer do the little "tm")

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I've since learned that I wasn't the first to use this method(as expected), but I AM the first to think up of a super cool name for the bag.:D

Mdcrinos

Arachnopeon
Whatever method you choose just dont drink a few beers before you start. Made that mistake with an OBT once, you talk about a rodeo LMAO :D Glad that one didnt make it to video

Vespula

Arachnodemon
Strange. I didn't have any trouble unpacking mine. I used long tongs to unwrap the tissue from around her, and she strolled out like she owned the place... {D She's very calm.