Unnecesary feeders

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pretty sure this isn't the first time you've brought up Robc in such a way, but I could be thinking of someone else, so whatever, doesn't matter.

I'll google and see what comes up, but I'm on an iPhone so it won't be that easy. From what I recall they reportedly burrow by water in the wild but I don't remember where I read that.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Umm...wow...I rarely mention Rob. and was not trying to say anything against him. But I dont agree with his H. gigas setup...nor do quite a few people.

I suggest you dont make accusations about me without proof. I have delt with a rob a few times. great guy, and I am not going to say anything bad about him. I just dont put him on a pedestal, nor do I agree with everything he does. Nuff' said.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I dont have a fancy setup for my H. gigas.. Just a shoe box with a large water dish.. When I first put it in there.. It was able to get in the water.. I never seen it climb "in" the water.. But I have witnessed it sitting next to the water with a couple feet touching the surface..

Do I think they would climb in if they felt some dinner? I bet they would.. Can I prove it? Nope.. But it is my opinion they would..

BlackCat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Umm...wow...I rarely mention Rob. and was not trying to say anything against him. But I dont agree with his H. gigas setup...nor do quite a few people.

I suggest you dont make accusations about me without proof. I have delt with a rob a few times. great guy, and I am not going to say anything bad about him. I just dont put him on a pedestal, nor do I agree with everything he does. Nuff' said.
I could be thinking of someone else, so whatever, doesn't matter.
Wasn't saying anything against you, relax. Apologies if it came off that way, really annoying horrible headache going on atm. =/

Annnnnnnnnnyway...

Being that there are some true spiders who do "fish" (albeit, mostly to catch insects on the surface), It isn't hard to believe a tarantula might as well. Still not at my PC though and I gave up looking a long time ago.. way too sleepy to try and read much on a small screen lol.

If mice are believed to be the wrong nutrition for T's though, fish should fall in that category as well right?

Last edited:

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
in robc defense, if the T was maybe not suited for water per say then why didnt it drown from getting water in its booklungs? iam not sure of how much time you would have to hold a T underwater in order for it to drown and iam not saying i want someone to try i mean its kinda like a personal choice i beleave from T owner to T owner like personnaly if anything i prefer to give my Ts more room than less why? who would want to be in something just maybe like 2x there size? not i will say for my terrs i doi have the substrate the one and 1/2 length but its a tengallon so plenty of floor space... now if you took from my comment that i claimed you guys were attacking robc not at all what i was saying and when i say in his defense i mean maybe what he knew or something.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Okay then, so let everyone with a large enough H gigas put a live minnow from an untreated watersource in their waterbowls and see what happens. I don't have time to google it but pretty sure I've seen it mentioned they'll eat fish in more than one article. Then again, wanna risk it?

On the other hand, I've never read anything about aquatic vertebrates being a part of A geniculata's diet. Hmm?...........I'm not gonna try it with the one I'm keeping, though ;)

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think some are combining the two issues here. One is the fact that H.gigas does take to water, the other is whether they hunt and eat fish. The former has been confirmed, but I don't think the latter has...

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well if its a wild bird.. its a federal offense to capture a migrotory bird. I guess it could be a captive bred bird i didnt really look at it for long.. :8o
Ahh, okay. Looked like a zebra finch to me.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ahh, okay. Looked like a zebra finch to me.
Sure did. A finch at least. I had three and they were very annoying but feeding like this doesn't suit me. *shrug* They always eat insects like it's the manna from Heaven so I don't see reason to.

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Please elaborate. Are those CB or WC? Are they even pets?!?!
They're probably the most commonly available finch species. That particular one wasn't the wild-type coloration, so it was most likely CB. I've seen them used as feeders before, just not for a spider.