unlikely occupations of T keepers

bootdsc

Arachnopeon
I work with telecom's planning and implementing cctv security systems. Used to install Inter-Tel pbx's but thanks to VOIP and cellphones that field has all but died.

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Interesting combo. I know lots and lots of paleontologists (paleoanthropologists, mostly, but not entirely), and none who is also an astrobiologist.
Paleontology or more specifically Paleobiology and Astrobiology go hand in hand, since Astrobiology is the study of the origin and evolution of life in the universe. Earth's fossil record is the only one we can look at for that. The development of biochemical pathways in early organisms can shed a lot of light on what we can expect to find given similar conditions on another planet. The other portion of Astrobiology is concerned with detection of Earth-like planets in habitable zones. As such, the field of Astrobiology is very much an interdisciplinary field that requires knowledge spanning both life and physical sciences.

Tym Hollerup

Arachnoknight
<3

I'm a musician. That's what defines me. It's what and who I am. It doesn't bring in any income though, but I'll never be a stock boy or a pizza delivery driver or a janitor or a manager at taco bell.

For the past few years I've been playing online poker professionally, but thanks to republicans (freak you) and the UIGEA, a law that passed in 2006, attached to the completely unrelated SAFE port act, which prohibited banks from processing transactions to online gambling sites, fewer and fewer recreation players deposited so the online poker games have gotten harder and harder and less and less profitable year by year, and so I've not been able to sustain the income. Thanks republicans, thanks a lot guys. Superb.

I just found a job after a year of looking. I'm doing random crap for some lady who runs a small business selling children's clothes and stuff out of her home. It was so hard to find a job, and I'm not talking about like 18 dollars an hour, 401k, dental and medical, 2 weeks paid vacation, I'm talking about entry level crap. I looked for an entry level crap job for a year, even offering to work a week for free to 3 different places and not one of them calling me, before I found the job I start tomorrow.

This country sucks.
Well said!!! BTW - Where did you play at? I played Professionally for a while as well. I focused strictly on PLO with PokerStars and Bodog. I HATE FullTilt!!!

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm a distribution technologist at my provincial power utility.

I oversee overhead and underground line construction, enforce engineering standards, conduct power quality investigations, and loads of other stuff.

JuGGaL0K0W

Arachnopeon
Im a mover/driver not very unlikely, but it pays the bills and i get to see all my dream homes i will never be able to afford.

ArachnidSentinl

Arachnoknight
I guess this goes to show that we're a diverse bunch!

PS: I'm a psychiatric rehabilitation case manager and grad student :cool:

desertanimal

Arachnoknight
Paleontology or more specifically Paleobiology and Astrobiology go hand in hand, since Astrobiology is the study of the origin and evolution of life in the universe. Earth's fossil record is the only one we can look at for that. The development of biochemical pathways in early organisms can shed a lot of light on what we can expect to find given similar conditions on another planet. The other portion of Astrobiology is concerned with detection of Earth-like planets in habitable zones. As such, the field of Astrobiology is very much an interdisciplinary field that requires knowledge spanning both life and physical sciences.
Oh sure. I get the big-question connection. I just don't know anyone with both skill sets, which are both specialized and very different from each other.

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well said!!! BTW - Where did you play at? I played Professionally for a while as well. I focused strictly on PLO with PokerStars and Bodog. I HATE FullTilt!!!

:D

pokerstars

FTP is garbage. Their customer support has always been pathetic, but now there's a lot of players who have been having unauthorized charges made to their checking accounts by a rogue payment processor that FTP used, and FTP is doing and saying absolutely NOTHING about it.

They're scum.

Unravel

Arachnosquire
I guess this goes to show that we're a diverse bunch!

PS: I'm a psychiatric rehabilitation case manager and grad student :cool:
same! sorta, work in an inpatient psychiatric setting and am in grad school.

Big_nito

TRISKELION
Old Timer
Very very diverse indeed... Im a Physical Therapist by profession..

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Full time CAD designer/Full time student/Full time dad...20 hours of sleep 3 exams and working on potty training <yawn>

webbedone

Arachnobaron
I am self employed: I work on cars its alright i guess but i am absolutely in love with Tarantulas, i thinking about saving up enough money to actually make T's my business, Tarantulas are my place of zen and relaxation. I love to breed, take care of little baby slings and watching them grow is the greatest reward i could immagine :) There is just something about creating life and nurturing it to its full potential. I've actually considerd taking classes in entomology/arthropology and making it my life's persuit, like my dad(who is a double PHD) says: "its never to late to go to school" :)

Hrothgar

Arachnopeon
Geologist, chemist and forensic scientist, with natural history book editor for variety...

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm a musician. That's what defines me. It's what and who I am. It doesn't bring in any income though, but I'll never be a stock boy or a pizza delivery driver or a janitor or a manager at taco bell.

I just found a job after a year of looking. I'm doing random crap for some lady who runs a small business selling children's clothes and stuff out of her home. It was so hard to find a job, and I'm not talking about like 18 dollars an hour, 401k, dental and medical, 2 weeks paid vacation, I'm talking about entry level crap. I looked for an entry level crap job for a year, even offering to work a week for free to 3 different places and not one of them calling me, before I found the job I start tomorrow.

This country sucks.
I've known other musicians who were dedicated to their work - but accepted jobs as janitor or pizza delivery when necessary. This country provides more opportunities than some I've lived in. But it's not "their" responsibility to find you a living. Opportunities and possibilities abound, but it's your challenge to find yourself a niche and exploit it.

Sorry to sound like I'm dumping on you - but I've worked $#t jobs when I had to and moved forward. And I've known too many other people who've done the same to feel sympathetic when someone whines that the country doesn't give them what they want.