unkown t species.. CAN ANYONE HELP??

ajlauer1984

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey everyone i am new to this and well i bought a unknown species of t from a local breeder that he had recieved as a freebie from his supplier for 10dollars and i was wondering if anyone can help me identify it, its pretty bitey, doesnt hesitate to strike at me. its spinnerettes and ventral side are both a bright orange/peach color.. thanks for anyhelp....

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that looks just like my A. seemani thats weird another guy just asked for the same help with a spider that has the same light browness and I just got one the same brown as well from a pet store I wonder if it from the same batch mines about 2-2.5" how big is it and can u see any faint dtiping on the knees

ajlauer1984

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
gumby that would have been me, like i said i am new just trying to figure out my way around the site.. mine is about the same size as yours and there isnt really any definate striping...

ajlauer1984

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
so this is just a color phase thats its going through then cause all of the a seemani i have seen are jet black with white stripes on it

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They dont get the black coloration with stripes untill they are almost adults.

Keith Richard

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Scolopendra55 said:
It's an A.seemani.
....and a stressed one by the looks. The first of the pictures seems to show the start of the "blackening" on top of the abdomin. If indeed it is in pre-molt, it's not surprising it's crabby.

ajlauer1984

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
why do you say it looks stressed??? and why is it so darn bitey and aggressive until it comes out of its cage...

Last edited:

Keith Richard

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lack of abdominal setae (perhaps due to kicking?), and also, look at the leg joints.....clear signs of rubbing, likely due to shipping. It will need deep substrate to allow it to burrow.

ajlauer1984

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have only had it about 2weeks, i have it in a 10gallon aquarium with a half log hide, and about 3-4 of ecoearth in the cage, one whole brick of it... well thanks for all the advice and help.. at lease i know what kind of humidity and temp this t needs... if anyone has any further advice for me just post it, i will take any help i can get, only been into ts since about a week before valentines day when my gf brought me ms.rose (g rosea) and i got bit by the addiction...

Last edited:

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
I still think you have a regular old A. seemani. They can go through some pretty crazy colour changes. For example,
Before molt

After molt

And those are pics of an adult female. Yours is still small, and I bet it will look alot different after it molts.

TRowe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
First off, welcome to the 'boards. One thing that you'll learn is that it's almost impossible to identify most species by comparing photographs on the web. Aphonopelmas are especially difficult to identify. It's very likely that your specimen is a juvenile, which makes it even less possible to identify. Aside from sending your spider to a taxonomist, you're probably going to have to wait until it matures before you even begin to guess what it might be. Please don't think I mean that in a negative way; that's just how it is.

Post some more pictures after it molts a few times, and it might get easier to ID.

Tim

ajlauer1984

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well guys here are some more pictures of the RARE a. burica.. tell me what you think.....
i also want you guys to take note of the grey colored fangs on mine and then compare to the chestnut zebra

TRowe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ajlauer1984 said:
tell me what you think.....
Well, since you asked... :)

We think it's probably not what you hope it is. We think it is probably not RARE, but COMMON. You said that your guy got it as a freebie... It's not common practice to give rare spiders freebies. Seriously... it's still an unidentified spider at this point. You're going to have to wait until it matures, or at least until it molts in your care before you'll be able to tell anything.

Best of luck,

Tim

ajlauer1984

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
just an update on this...

i took this spider to a local entomologist and they started screaming at me "how are handling a baboon t?" well he identified this t as some sort of baboon species so everyone was completely off. even me. well thanks for everyones time, i no longer have this t, i sold it for 20bucks to the entomologist i took her too, then i purchased a striped albinism(albinism means to be albino and carry the genes of albino-if i bread her with another ablinism she is going to have all albino babys) kingsnake instead.. very good trade if you ask me...

DanHalen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ajlauer1984 said:
i took this spider to a local entomologist and they started screaming at me "how are handling a baboon t?" well he identified this t as some sort of baboon species so everyone was completely off. even me. well thanks for everyones time, i no longer have this t, i sold it for 20bucks to the entomologist i took her too, then i purchased a striped albinism(albinism means to be albino and carry the genes of albino-if i bread her with another ablinism she is going to have all albino babys) kingsnake instead.. very good trade if you ask me...
Really didnt look like a babboon to me at all. I think the entemologist may have been very mistaken. That T looked very bald, as if it had been kicking alot of hairs.... Well babboons dont actually kick hairs!

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
DanHalen said:
Really didnt look like a babboon to me at all. I think the entemologist may have been very mistaken. That T looked very bald, as if it had been kicking alot of hairs.... Well babboons dont actually kick hairs!
That's a very good point. I also think it looks like a NW species.