uh oh, something in the dirt

Joeyo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i changed the substrate in my rosea enclosure. i put in peat moss. Ultra Premuim Sphagnum peat moss All-Natural Prfessional Grade is what it says on the packaging. i changed it about 2 weeks ago. shes gotten used to it and is using her hide and seems generally healthy to me. I peeked in today after giving her fresh water and noticed a small patch of dirt around her dish where i had spilled a little water last time was still wet. upon closer inspection i can see very small white bugs of some sort. i took a close look at my rosea and didn't notice any were on her fangs, legs, or anywhere that i could see. Are these mites? are they dangerous? how do i get rid of them?

Sadistik

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
could be those little jumping thingies (Collumbola ?)
You can recognize them pretty easy, if they jump then they are Collumbola :D

taorchard1987

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
there damp mites, lil white specs. i had them with my cobalt (oh god), i just had to change the substrate and they were gone, or you could just dry out the tank as they need the moist to survive

Sadistik

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
it doesnt have to be mite, mites arent the only white little creatures who can appear in a tank when its too wet :embarrassed:
But yeah try to dry out the tank a G. rosea doesnt need a swimming pool it will do fine on a dry substrate with a water dish.

taorchard1987

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sadistik said:
it doesnt have to be mite, mites arent the only white little creatures who can appear in a tank when its too wet :embarrassed:
But yeah try to dry out the tank a G. rosea doesnt need a swimming pool it will do fine on a dry substrate with a water dish.

i supposr your rite their but he did mention that he spilt the water whilst changing the dish

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I often get lots of little off-white bugs which I assume are baby crickets. They look like crickets, just tiny. As I've learned, the cricket eggs hatch in any sign of dampness. Whatever they are, I would change the substrate and keep it real dry.

Joeyo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
these are far too small to tell if they look like small crickets. they're only in the soil that the water was spilled on. i keep the substrate as dry as i can.

also, ive never seen them jump. if they're not harmful to my T, i might as well not worry too much about it. as soon as this little spill dries out completely, i'll clean out the dish real good.

Tarantulasse

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had those, I had no idea what they were until after I fully cleaned my T's tank. Than I did a search on here and heard of similiar probs. It looked like little white dust all over my T's tank....I just knew it was odd, so I cleaned it out....but now that I know they are harmless to T's I probably won't obsess over it so much next time.