ugh, I give up

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
First, read http://www.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/stansrant.html.

Then, read http://www.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html.

You need to understand that you're not keeping your rose in a natural setting. There is no way on God's green Earth that you can even hope to begin to do so. Life in a cage in your home is an absolutely, completely, totally artificial existence. Compare it to living on the International Space Station rather than a nice comfy swamp or desert (or even your living room) on Mother Earth.

Forget trying to recreate nature and start concentrating on keeping your tarantula alive.
Althought it will never be the same, to make it closer to it than farther, is up to you and it can be done. Anything closer to its natural sourrounding its better than 0.

That example is not precise, the example would be; Imagine yourself living in Space Station in an empty room with endless water and food, at 40 degrees F, or living in a Space Station in what it seems to be a somehow fake copy of your home,with endless water and food, with 70 degrees F.

Last edited:

lilmoonrabbit

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The sub is baked, all clay and vine has been removed, and she is currently hiding in her beer cup.

After today, I hope I don't have to do anything else for at least a year.

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My experience with grapevine is its evil and will mold no matter what you do.
+1

I set a piece into a dry enclosure, and it still molded....probably due to abmient humidity. Personally, I would find an altenative to using grapevine, if at all possible.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
+1

I set a piece into a dry enclosure, and it still molded....probably due to abmient humidity. Personally, I would find an altenative to using grapevine, if at all possible.
People underestimate just how much moisture peat or coco can hold while only feeling slightly moist to the touch. Grape vine does work if it's dry enough. I have it in about 20 enclosures with no problems. If the grapevine molded your enclosure wasn't dry. When I can I like to set up the enclosure with substrate and everything then let it sit overnight with the lid off. This allows a lot of the excess moisture to evaporate out of the substrate.