Genus Typhochlaena

babelfish

Arachnosquire
here‘s the first video footage of Typhochlaena seladonia in its natural living space:

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So why has costae been around a handful if years now, yet nobody is working with them (publically at least)

They are a lot prettier than seladonia in my opinion.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Tom, tried to PM you but your inbox is full. When did you get this species? Going to give it a go and breed, RIGHT?
Got it about a year ago. I believe it’s a male and have two people that want to borrow him when he matures. They were reacently bred in Germany, so there should be slings available in the U.S. again soon.

My inbox here seems to fill up fast. You can always email me Tompatterson77@gmail.com

Later, Tom

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks Tom- Have you seen it make an trap door? If so, are you using lichen like another person on here suggested is necessary (based on secondary sources who own them), but a video of them in the wild showed examples of specimens w/out lichen.

How is it as an eater?

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Thanks Tom- Have you seen it make an trap door? If so, are you using lichen like another person on here suggested is necessary (based on secondary sources who own them), but a video of them in the wild showed examples of specimens w/out lichen.
I think if there's lichen present they'll use it, if not it's likely that they'll use whatever debris they can find. This is just speculation on my part though

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think if there's lichen present they'll use it, if not it's likely that they'll use whatever debris they can find. This is just speculation on my part though

I don't know myself. But another person on the forum claims the "right" way to form trap door is to have lichen. Which I couldn't rule out of course. However the video of this species shows some that had lichen on the bark, but clearly shows some that don't have lichen on the bark.

After seeing the video, I personally don't believe lichen is needed.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
I don't know myself. But another person on the forum claims the "right" way to form trap door is to have lichen. Which I couldn't rule out of course. However the video of this species shows some that had lichen on the bark, but clearly shows some that don't have lichen on the bark.

After seeing the video, I personally don't believe lichen is needed.
Well tarantulas are very adaptable animals so a wild one would probably use whatever it could find. They definitely use bits of bark and dirt and other debri for their trapdoor so I'm sure something substantial like lichen would be appreciated. Sort of like how if an avic isn't given any leaves or plastic plants near the top of the enclosure it will just web the corner instead, but will definitely use leaves in its webbing if it can

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well tarantulas are very adaptable animals so a wild one would probably use whatever it could find. They definitely use bits of bark and dirt and other debri for their trapdoor so I'm sure something substantial like lichen would be appreciated. Sort of like how if an avic isn't given any leaves or plastic plants near the top of the enclosure it will just web the corner instead, but will definitely use leaves in its webbing if it can
Yep I know all about how adaptable they are. The poster made it sound like if there's no lichen, there's no trapdoor forming. These animals are in captivity of course.

babelfish

Arachnosquire
Typhochlaena curumim Bertani, 2012
adult female (17mm body length)
in its natural living space (Brazil)

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Typhochlaena seladonia

subadult female

How easy or hard are they to breed? Do people over there feel they have the conditions ironed out to successfully rear and propagate the members of this genus?