two of my t's arent eating

element19_98

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have nine t's and two of them 1. a coblat blue and the 2. b. emila have not been eating iv had the coblat blue for two weeks now and he has finally adopted an artifical burrow i made for it but as sealed up the entrance in silk and hast come out to feed or anything since ive dropped one cricket a night in for the past week and every morning the cricket is still there,the b. emilla on the other hand ive had for one month now and since has only ate two crickets in that whole time she has dug a trough as hide istead of using the log one i provided there rear opsmosa's are all very plump and as far i can tell the arent in premolt no darkening on the bald spot or the leg joints,so now im beging to get worried,all of my other 7 t's eat like clockwork as soon as the cricket is dropped in they pounce on it beore i can sel there lids,anyone ever have anything like this with any of there t's all replies are apreciated thank you:)

wolfpak

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sounds like your ts are in premoult. nothing to be worried about

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yup prolly just premolt nothing to worry bout. :)

-Matty

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just remember- when you have a recent addition, you have no idea where they are in their molt cycles, esp. if they are small and molt very frequently. Since you have other T's, I'm sure you know how to care for them,and are only stressing cause they're new. Be patient!

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It is also important to note that a few weeks, even a month, without eating is normal for tarantulas. They can go a suprisingly long time without eating. Even when it is not a pre-molt fast, a fast of several weeks is nothing to be concerned about. The only time to worry about fasting is if you notice a significant shrinking or shriveling of the abdomen. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
As Windchaser said, refusing food does not necessarily indicate per-molt fasting.

Beeker

Arachnopeon
out of all my T's my lividum is the hardest to get to eat. He stays in his borrow 98% of the time since i have literally only seen him out in the open a whole 3 times since iv'e had him.

Normally ill put 2 roaches in his cage just incase one happens to wonder down his borrow...but most of the time i try to manneuver the roach into his borrow and then i take a pen and hold it in the opening until my lividum snags it.

I know once he gets a little bigger(He's 1 inch now) he will do fine on his own just a pain trying to get hime to eat sometimes.

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I think it's pre molt

I have an adult H. lividium that has sealed herself in 2 weeks ago. She doesn't
even come out at night to drink. Also I just had an L. Parahybana s'ling not
eat for 20 days. It molted last week and like the lividium it knew what it was doing.
Make sure they have a water dish to keep the humidity up. Be patient and you
should be OK.

element19_98

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ive gotten my cobalt to adopt a premade burrow i constructed out of cardboard hollowed out and burried in dirt with peat moss on top i put a silk plant to partially cover the entrance and the next day i checked on it it had moved in its has also made this huge cocoon webbing in its burrow its so thick the light from my flashlight wont penetrate it its almost like those eggsac webs in shultz t. keeper guide,my cobalt was a four incher bought from dean at northwest it still hasnt eaten but at least its adopted its burrow i checked on it today by gently inserting a wooden chop stick into its home and sure enough i felt and heard a strike on it so he seems lively enough i guess it will come out in search of food when it feels the need,i dont want to force any crickets down its burrow in case its in mole where it could be harmed,id just feel alot better if it would eat some crickest i give it at night well ill just have to be paitent,thanks for the replies so far

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As exciting as it is to get new T's, sometimes it's frustrating too cause you're not in tune with their rythms....which are usually very slow! It's really hard for a society that demands instant gratification!

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
element19_98 said:
ive gotten my cobalt to adopt a premade burrow i constructed out of cardboard hollowed out and burried in dirt with peat moss on top
Leaving cardboard in an enclosure is not a very good idea. It will hold water and eventually start to mold.

Beccas_824

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't know for sure if your new T's are in pre-molt but it sure sounds like it, especially the H. lividum, if it has sealed itself in.

element19_98

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i didnt know that wind chaser,well i tried first with a 2 1/4 inch piece ov ovc pipe as a premade burrow but after weeks he never took to it so i increased the substrate depth and still he never burrowed so i constructed a new premade burrow with the card board rolled into a half circle and i covered it in dirt and peat moss and the next morning he moved right on in my substrate for my cobalt stays pretty moist as does the peat moss i chosse to add a layer on the floor because it retains water so well alowing the humidity to stay instead of having in fluctuate alot and having to do constant mistings i wont spary it directly on his burrow so hopefully that will keep the submerged cardboard from molding but im not going to uproot him now i think he in premolt and has sealed him self entirely in a very thick webb,ill just keep an eye and a flashlight out for signs of mold ventilation in my spider room is also superb but thanks for the heads up im always learning:)