TV Harriet T.blondi in trouble HELP!

MaximusMeridus

Arachnopeon
This does not look good, experience tells me this is terminal but I may be wrong.

Our giant TV 'Harriet; T.blondi looks in trouble.

Sluggish and weak, swollen abdomen overall and hanging over the water continuously, the other day caught her swimming in it after hanging around it for a while. Hasn't appeared entirely normal for a few weeks. She is not old still reasonably young, laid an egg sac this year, although infertile as she didn't mate.

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Craig

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hovering over the water dish is usually a sign of the humidity in the enclosure being lacking. Since this species requires high humidity, you should be monitoring it on a reliable hygrometer. Are you? If so, what is it reading?

kanito107

Arachnosquire
The same thing happened to my blondi but in my case I had no idea what was wrong and when I found it in the death curl arachnoboards decided to update they're website. So I never got advice and my blondi died the next day. So I would also suggest increasing the humidity, and keep the water bowl filled

synyster

Arachnobaron
This is a sensitive species. ICU it ASAP. And get the ICU really warm and humid. Like as if you wanted it to read 110%! Keep it real dark, adding black paper to cover it (the ICU) if neccessary. If your lucky, it'll molt it off, but what you posted is a clear sign of dehydration.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey man,

Damn, it doesnt sound good.
Im sure you know the problems some of these girls have with "overnight" swollen abdomens.

About a year ago one of the largest females I had, sort of like out of the blue, developped a bigger abdomen.
In a couple of weeks the abdomen was swollen and irregular,she was sluggish and hunging arouind the water as well. Right after she forced the molt finally I saw she had a big abcess, with lots of her insides out.
I did what I could but she died within the week. :(

I hope yours doesnt have that outcome, but the irregular abrupted abdomens are really not good with these species. :(

Best luck to you mate,

Fran

MaximusMeridus

Arachnopeon
Hey Fran,

Unfortunately she did pass away not so long after. Nothing could be done, it was a slippery slope as it always is with T.blondi, once they look like they're in trouble, its all over.

I am looking for another one now of similar size for www.tarantulacam.org

If anyone knows or has one they'd like to sell let me know.

Cheers

Hey man,

Damn, it doesnt sound good.
Im sure you know the problems some of these girls have with "overnight" swollen abdomens.

About a year ago one of the largest females I had, sort of like out of the blue, developped a bigger abdomen.
In a couple of weeks the abdomen was swollen and irregular,she was sluggish and hunging arouind the water as well. Right after she forced the molt finally I saw she had a big abcess, with lots of her insides out.
I did what I could but she died within the week. :(

I hope yours doesnt have that outcome, but the irregular abrupted abdomens are really not good with these species. :(

Best luck to you mate,

Fran

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
This is a sensitive species. ICU it ASAP. And get the ICU really warm and humid. Like as if you wanted it to read 110%! Keep it real dark, adding black paper to cover it (the ICU) if neccessary. If your lucky, it'll molt it off, but what you posted is a clear sign of dehydration.
DONT!!! An ICU could kill it. It is better to raise humidity in her own environment wich she is familiar and safe with. Moving her to another unfamiliar container could cause fatal stress.

ImDeadly

Arachnosquire
No but these guys go through way scarier/stressful things than being put in an ICU. Can't see that being a cause of death for a T unless some severe aggravation from the owners.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
No but these guys go through way scarier/stressful things than being put in an ICU. Can't see that being a cause of death for a T unless some severe aggravation from the owners.
What i mean is if the animal already is in very bad shape more stress can be the factor that kills it. Im going to try and find the pdf´s about stress in Theraphosids. All arachnids are sensetive to stress but i might be best if you read for your selve

synyster

Arachnobaron
The spider has already passed guys.

And I suggested the ICU since it worked for my specimen that had the exact same reaction. Within 2 days in there, she molted and was fine after.

And falk is right, the stress factor could aggravate the problem.

ImDeadly

Arachnosquire
The spider has already passed guys.

And I suggested the ICU since it worked for my specimen that had the exact same reaction. Within 2 days in there, she molted and was fine after.

And falk is right, the stress factor could aggravate the problem.
Thank you, thats all i needed to know. I know it is dead already, just needed clarification on the stress detail. Answering a question with a question usually ends in more posts.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
T Blondies are best left to experts.. like ROb C... T Stirmi are easier to care for.

synyster

Arachnobaron
T Blondies are best left to experts.. like ROb C... T Stirmi are easier to care for.
:sarcasm: Let's not start on this please...

And T.blondi and T.stirmi require the exact same care. Heck they were considered to be the same species until 2010!

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Without even getting into the robc comment, this is inaccurate information. As nicely as possible, please do some research before spreading misinformation.

Also, as far as I can tell, the op's t did not die due to a something lacking in care. It had nothing to do with being an "expert" or not. I doubt robc would have led to a different outcome.

synyster

Arachnobaron
Without even getting into the robc comment........I doubt robc would have led to a different outcome.
It's hard to resist huh? ;P

Agreed, it wasn't a lack of good care. @ultimkid, the only difference between Theraphosa blondi and Theraphosa stirmi without getting into the taxonomy, would be the availability.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yeah sorry Ive made some Failed comments.(this is one of them).. My bad.:clown:.
but ofc...No new T owner is gunna buy any Ts in the Genus.. Theraphosa ..Hairs on the Petalla of the legs are the only difference
True T blondies.. are rarer... sorry for your loss man''

synyster

Arachnobaron
Hairs on the Petalla of the legs are the only difference
False again. There are differences in stridulation organ locations, males bulb and females spermathacae. There is also presence of spination on the apical femur IV in females.