Ts safety at risk as I type fast replies please :(

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah pics will be hard to tell from...maybe you can catch one with something, and put it in a colored deli cup or something that isnt see through, and get a better look at it..

StreetTrash

Arachnoknight
Well it was said before, if you are super worried about their safety then move them. If it's spring tails they are good, in fact if they aren't on your animals it's probably nothing to worry about. Next chance you get google springtails. I still think that's your culprit.

Vilurum

Arachnosquire
for some reason if i try to google pics it just gives me an error

crysta what i have look diff to that, mine are smaller, the anntenae has a diff curl? and in that pic they dont have the black/silver/gray line on them :/

Also I am going to assume they will breed even if they turn out to be harmless that many would stress the T out?

axbrown

Arachnopeon
Hey, it was me who said they are like a cleanup crew, and yea I'm sure they are springtails. You'll be fine ;) if I were you I'd leave them

Vilurum

Arachnosquire
as much as id like to leave them theres the thought in my head what if they are harming and srtessing my babies :(

any ideas and a diff sub to go to? I may just go back to vermiculite :/

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What I think you need to do is read up more on closed and open eco systems and understand that T's live with springtails, mites and other non-predator cleaners as well as other predators in the wild. While most keepers can have a very closed system, there are just some that are made for the habitats that you have. If i had springtails, I’d be ecstatic, because now i don't have to clean as much.
if you cannot acquire coco coir, look for organic, non-fertilized, non-pesticide containing soil. mix it with the peat and you should be fine.

axbrown

Arachnopeon
What I think you need to do is read up more on closed and open eco systems and understand that T's live with springtails, mites and other non-predator cleaners as well as other predators in the wild. While most keepers can have a very closed system, there are just some that are made for the habitats that you have. If i had springtails, I’d be ecstatic, because now i don't have to clean as much.
if you cannot acquire coco coir, look for organic, non-fertilized, non-pesticide containing soil. mix it with the peat and you should be fine.
Agreed. Don't worry about it that much man. Your T's are fine ;)

Vilurum

Arachnosquire
I 100% understand where your coming from but let me say this, imagine it was you who left it and one day you woke up with a room of dead Ts, thats what im afraid of :/

Will these mystery bugs eat the mold that grew (I still dont know why theres mold) or should I re do them tanks?

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not sure if this has been said already. But I'll throw in possibly booklice. I had those (probably still do) in my enclosures and I noticed all the driftwood I had (in the enclosures AND out) was getting piles of powder under them. And no harm has been done. So hopefully it could be them. Good luck!

Vilurum

Arachnosquire
i know what booklice are its defo not them

---------- Post added 11-14-2011 at 07:58 PM ----------

i know what booklice are its defo not them

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wouldn't recommend vermiculite. its hard to burrow and gets stuck on the tarantulas. Look for different species of springtails, there isnt just that kind i linked.

The mold is a concern. Your ventilation might not be enough which can encourage mold growth if you dont have enough wood louse/pill bugs to clean up the mess or plants to reduce it.

Anyways you worry too much - people are giving you advice and your throwing it back in our face with your worries - so this is my last post >.>

Mold growth could also be encouraged if you put a certain type of wood in the enclosure thats not... cork bark. Some wood molds, cricket left overs molt, soil molds mixed with poop if ventilation doesn't happen or things dont eat it.

Keep the springtails dis the mold.

axbrown

Arachnopeon
I know what you mean, I was freaked out when I first saw them too. Unless there all over your T's, infesting the bodies, I wouldn't worry. It's good though that your this worried, it shows you really care about your T's ;)

ImDeadly

Arachnosquire
You said you cannot get them out to clean the enclosure because you have nothing to put them in? Really? So they have never gotten their homes completely done in your care? You seem extremely worried and I can respect that, however you as a keeper should be prepared for these problems (if its a problem at all). Extra containers for T's is a MUST. Matter of fact extra containers tend to just appear out of nowhere for me. Get a deli cup or rig up some sort of container to temp hold the T and clean each and every enclosure out. This is key to getting rid of a large portion of bugs and will relieve a bit of your stress. When done, keep the moisture to the least amount you can get away with. allow it to almost completely dry out every week or two. The spiders will be fine, unless your housing a Goliath or something. Just take it easy, don't over-water, don't stress too much, and prepare for anything. +1 to whoever mentioned the organic potting soil, I'm sure they have that in Ireland.

Torrid

Arachnopeon
I find it kind of odd that you're with worried over harmless springtails, yet you're unable to provide all of the substrates suggested and said you have nothing else to put them in..How do you do full cage cleans if they can never leave their tank? :| I'm on board with everyone else, they sound like spring tails, they are not anything to be worried about, but you need to get the mold out of there. Reducing moisture or upping ventilation seems pretty important at this point, you never want mold growing. I apologize if it was said earlier, but if the mold on wood or on substrate?

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
want to get rid of the majority of them without cleaming the tank?

put a small piece of a mushroom in a small container and place that in the enclosure.
the sprigtails eat mold /fungus (as said by others) they will be all over the mushroom in the morning.
then just remove them and the mushroom and dispose. this won't get rid of all of the but you will catch alot.

but in my opinion they aren't bad at all and other hobbies that keep moist tanks/enclosures encourage
springtails and even "seed" the tanks with them.

leave them they won't hurt anything.

moose