T's finally home but one problem......

BioEd

Arachnopeon
My B. Smithi is happy in her tank. Here's the problem my H. lividum freaked and jumped to the top of it's small tank from the store, really angry I'll tell ya.

How can I get it into it's new home.

cdxrd

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If the tank she came home in will fit inside her new home, I would just set it inside the new tank, loosen the lid and use tongs or other long tool to remove the lid, and let her come out on her own. When she it out, use the tongs again to grab and remove the old tank and lid.. Quite a bit on this on the boards, so if you do a search you may find a lot more info on moving aggressive species. :)

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey BioEd...what kind of "tank" is it exactly? A Kritter Keeper? If so, I'd just wait until it settles down, and it will eventually and do what cdxrd suggested. If it won't fit inside the container, to feel more at ease moving it, you can "jar" it with a comtainer that'll fit into what you have it in now, slide a peice of stiff cardboard underneath it, and transfer it that way. Hope this helps!

BioEd

Arachnopeon
It came in a small critter keeper and I'm trying to get it into a larger one with around 8" of substrate.

The small container will fit in the large one. but if I do card it like you say i'll be leaving all of the substrate from the small tank in the large one. Is that OK?

Bean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Take a look at the "How to unpack your bugs" sticky at the top of this forum. Great method for moving unhappy inverts. Good luck.

edit: Hopefully by the time you read this, the problem will be resolved!

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
BioEd said:
It came in a small critter keeper and I'm trying to get it into a larger one with around 8" of substrate.

The small container will fit in the large one. but if I do card it like you say i'll be leaving all of the substrate from the small tank in the large one. Is that OK?
Yep, should be ok...unless it came in the keeper with something you wouldn't want in there...like wood shavings, (which I've seen T's on in pet stores before). If it's something you don't want to mix, when the lividum starts into burrowing, (and it will), you can remove the substrate then.

jdcarrel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
patients my friend. :D you might just have to wait it out if you don't want to get down and dirty with it.

BioEd

Arachnopeon
I think I figured out what startled the lividum. It was burrowed in as much as can be and I tipped the tank. I'm letting it settle down for a day and feeding and watering it in the small tank. In a few days I'll put the small tank in the large remove the lid and replace the lid on the large tank. When the T's secure in its burrow I'll take the small tank out with tongs.

Any opinions? :)