Trying to understand X immanis burrowing behavior

morganind

Arachnopeon
:confused: I have a 7" X. immanis female in a 20L tank. I keep the humidity at ~80% and
she has a half buried log as a retreat. She stays in her burrow most of the time and only seems to wander when she's hungry. When I feed her she eats her food wherever she catches it. If it's a big meal she stays in the area where she ate for a couple days before heading back to her hideout. This seems at odds with what i've always read about T's waiting at their burrows for food and running down inside it to eat.
Could it be that she doesn't like her burrow and is looking for a new one. I have noticed that the past few days she has been hanging out at the dry end of the cage. But just a couple of months ago before she molted she made extensive "renovations" to her burrow. If I disturb her when she is in her wandering mode, she just moves away but does not run back to the burrow. I'm not sure that she really knows where it is. It seems more like she
re-finds it when she is in her security seeking mode. Is it possible that the South American birdeaters are wanderers that only temporarily set-up a hideout for molting and to digest large meals spending the rest of their time roaming food. What kinds of experiences are others having in large tanks with burrows.

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I cant help with the questions. Sorry. I was wondering where u got her? :drool: I would love to have one, 1 day.

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
morganind said:
If I disturb her when she is in her wandering mode, she just moves away but does not run back to the burrow. I'm not sure that she really knows where it is. It seems more like she
re-finds it when she is in her security seeking mode. Is it possible that the South American birdeaters are wanderers that only temporarily set-up a hideout for molting and to digest large meals spending the rest of their time roaming food. What kinds of experiences are others having in large tanks with burrows.
Sounds spot on with what many of the larger SA t's do in captivity and what many seem to think they do in the wild but i don’t think anyone has tracked enough animals over enough time to know 100% for sure.

morganind

Arachnopeon
I got her about a year ago at e-spiderworld. Several years ago I
got a male spiderling at my local pet store. Unfortunately I got her as a replacement for him after he matured and died. But I would like to breed her. Every now and then they pop up but you have to act fast on the babies or shell out big bucks for a sub-adult.
Good luck

morganind

Arachnopeon
FryLock said:
Sounds spot on with what many of the larger SA t's do in captivity and what many seem to think they do in the wild but i don’t think anyone has tracked enough animals over enough time to know 100% for sure.
Thanks for the reply. Just wanted to be sure that wasn't a sign of her being unhappy.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Sorry for not keeping to your q - I can't answer anything either, but wanna take the chance to ask wether your (or any ofcourse) X. i. is a fast T?

morganind

Arachnopeon
She doesn't seem to be as "aware" as my goliath. My goliath will come from the far end of her tank to investigate me moving things around. Sometimes
immanis doesn't seem to notice even when I'm moving things around right beside her. I feed them both frozen/thawed pinkie rats, but I have to jiggle the rat a lot more to the immanis's attention. I can sometimes pick pieces
of debris from under her (with forceps) without getting her attention. If she is spooked she can move quickly but doesn't run that far. She does like to flick hair though. Hope that helps