True spiders & overfeeding

Mori

Arachnopeon
Hi,

I was reading some threads here abt overfeeding in sling/adult tarantulas and I'm now wondering if in true spiders species/families, there were some that are prone to overfeed ? Has anyone encountered some problems with overfeeding their true spiders before (adults or juvenile ) ?
Thank you for your time.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hi,

I was reading some threads here abt overfeeding in sling/adult tarantulas and I'm now wondering if in true spiders species/families, there were some that are prone to overfeed ? Has anyone encountered some problems with overfeeding their true spiders before (adults or juvenile ) ?
Thank you for your time.
My Latrodectus will over-eat if I let them.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My Latrodectus will over-eat if I let them.
I’ve always been curious about over eating with spiders, what do you mean by that exactly? What happens? In the wild no one is there to control how much they eat and sometimes there are influxes of bugs and they will catch all they can, or sometimes ignore the prey. What happens if you let it overeat?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I’ve always been curious about over eating with spiders, what do you mean by that exactly? What happens? In the wild no one is there to control how much they eat and sometimes there are influxes of bugs and they will catch all they can, or sometimes ignore the prey. What happens if you let it overeat?
Their abdomens become monstrously bloated and easily ruptured.

Mori

Arachnopeon
Thanks for your answers, that's interesting.
At what size do you judge that the abdomen is too large and risks rupture ? is it something you learned with experience depending of the species you have or is there a general consensus abt how to determine it ?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks for your answers, that's interesting.
At what size do you judge that the abdomen is too large and risks rupture ? is it something you learned with experience depending of the species you have or is there a general consensus abt how to determine it ?
Varies depending on species.