True spider id... orbweaver sp?

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
So I think this little one is a Cribellate orb weaver?(Uloborus spp.) Not positive... at all XD correct markings correct web shape, similar size and some similar behaviors. But the front legs are oddly short in my opinion and this little one looks close to adulthood if not already an adult. Also it's not noticeably hairy like I'd expect. These guys are supposed to be furry as all get out. I want to know what I am dealing with so I can house her (i think?) Appropriately, if she's the orb weaver I think I will put her in a more square enclosure. She should be an easier species to keep from what I understand (though if she doesn't start building in two days maximum I will release her back into my backyard). She will not be kept if she doesn't do well with me and she came from my orange tree, so I have several places to release her back to safely. One nice thing about having such a spider friendly backyard.

Pictures will be coming in the morning, I am just placing this here as I get ready for bed.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I am 98% sure she is a cat face spider, which is also an orbweaver sp. But not sure if she's full grown or not. Apparently there's two or three subspecies of them I think? But she has been moved into completely different enclosure and is already building her web ^^

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I am 98% sure she is a cat face spider, which is also an orbweaver sp. But not sure if she's full grown or not. Apparently there's two or three subspecies of them I think? But she has been moved into completely different enclosure and is already building her web ^^
Where in the U.S. was this found? It could be Araneus gemmoides (definitely Araneus). There is only one species, but they have several color forms.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
@Ungoliant Is there anyway you can tell me how to feed her best? I am not sure whether her species has a sticky web or not and apparently I can't find the answer easily online. So I was wondering if you had any idea? I have been trying to drop super tiny roach nymphs in her web (which she has made one) but they easily get out. I am thinking she may need fruit flies? Or something similar? I can pick some up today for sure. Might as well try them, I have a couple other spiders who may do well with them as well. But I do need to remove the nymphs form her enclosure now... which of course will cause me to disturb her web so I would like to feed her before hand XD My roaches are well fed so I don't think they will disturb her for 48 hours.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Need to make a tape hatch for the fruit flies, but she has two or three in her container and is eating well. I also was able to get one of my other pickier True spiders to eat without an issue. So I know what that little one will want.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
@Ungoliant Is there anyway you can tell me how to feed her best? I am not sure whether her species has a sticky web or not and apparently I can't find the answer easily online. So I was wondering if you had any idea?
Most orbweavers have a spiraling glue line in their web. (The spokes are generally non-sticky and are used for support/moving in the web.)

Anything that sticks long enough for her to grab would be good prey. (The web doesn't have to hold the prey forever, just long enough for her to get to it.) I have given wild orbweavers crickets with no jumping legs. (If you are feeding her outside, make sure non-native prey cannot escape and reproduce.)

Last edited:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Spiraling sticky line. There are some orb weavers that use both sticky and non sticky for the spiral. The outermost portion of the spiral is non sticky and there is often a visible demarcation or gap where the sticky lines start. I can't remember what species did this.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
The fruit flies seem to make her happy for now, if she is the species I think she is I may have to go up in size of prey later on but currently I am not too worried about it XD. As long as she is eating. Otherwise she would have been back out oin the orange tree.