Travelling with rainbow millipedes.

Karl Parker

Arachnopeon
So just been to local (by local I mean a 2 hour bus journey) to pick up two rainbow millipedes and currently on return trip. Halfway back I noticed one of them had used it’s defenses but the most worrying part was both of them were just rigid and not moving at all. When I got on the bus and checked again they were slowly curling up so I’ve put the container in my thermal hat to keep them warm cause right now it’s not warm and hopefully they’re ok. Will keep updated!

Karl Parker

Arachnopeon
Update: Just got home and took them out. They've unravelled themselves and the larger of the two is looking round. Maybe them being all rigid was because of the bumpy bus ride?

Karl Parker

Arachnopeon
Update #2: So after a while they both started moving round and even let me handle them for some pictures which was cool. They're both relaxing in the faunarium, Dash (the larger) is happily checking it out while Rush is still a little bit rigid but when I handled them they were both happy and active. I've also moved them a little closer to the radiator for now so they can warm up better!

Attachments

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Looks good to me. Millipedes are sensitive but after a while they eventually calm down.

Karl Parker

Arachnopeon
So my paranoia about the temperature finally got to me and I picked up a 25 watt daytime heat lamp and have it about 15cm above the closed lid of the faunarium, seriously the moss inside was freezing. The smaller of the two didn't move when I saw him, got worried so picked him up to check on him. He barely moved, ever so slightly started to curl up but not completely, but just moved his legs and stained my hand. I'm hoping it just means he's moulting because Dash is still very much fine. I've put him back cause I don't want to stress him out and put a little bit of coco fibre on him to cover him up in case he is moulting. Is the lamp too close? Any input is appreciated although it is a low watt bulb I don't want to put it too close is all.

Attachments

davehuth

Arachnoknight
So my paranoia about the temperature finally got to me and I picked up a 25 watt daytime heat lamp and have it about 15cm above the closed lid of the faunarium, seriously the moss inside was freezing. The smaller of the two didn't move when I saw him, got worried so picked him up to check on him. He barely moved, ever so slightly started to curl up but not completely, but just moved his legs and stained my hand. I'm hoping it just means he's moulting because Dash is still very much fine. I've put him back cause I don't want to stress him out and put a little bit of coco fibre on him to cover him up in case he is moulting. Is the lamp too close? Any input is appreciated although it is a low watt bulb I don't want to put it too close is all.
For myself, I've been able to do my best fussing around with temperature by simply purchasing a cheap vivarium thermometer on amazon.com. It preserves a lot of peace of mind by taking the guesswork out of it. There's no way to tell if the temperature is in a healthy range by considering the distance of the bulb from the enclosure. You need a numerical reading. Best of luck and try to avoid fiddling too much with millipedes you're worried about. If they're in distress you can't help by moving or touching them, and if they're not in distress they don't need you anyway :)

Karl Parker

Arachnopeon
For myself, I've been able to do my best fussing around with temperature by simply purchasing a cheap vivarium thermometer on amazon.com. It preserves a lot of peace of mind by taking the guesswork out of it. There's no way to tell if the temperature is in a healthy range by considering the distance of the bulb from the enclosure. You need a numerical reading. Best of luck and try to avoid fiddling too much with millipedes you're worried about. If they're in distress you can't help by moving or touching them, and if they're not in distress they don't need you anyway :)
Yeah tbh I've found the bulb is practically useless so I ordered a heat mat off amazon and a thermometer which will be with me tomorrow (thermometer will take a day extra) and I'll take the bulb and lamp back, it was a trial and error thing and it error'd.

I'm avoiding the hell outta fiddling, I know I can only do bad by trying to interfere. I've noticed the blue is turning pale so I have a feeling he's moulting! Also side fun fact was able to sex him so hoping the larger milli is female for obvious reasons.

Karl Parker

Arachnopeon
Quick update, came home today to my new heat mat (yay) but sod's law has kicked in and the weather is nice a warm (yay...) I've noticed Rush's shell colour is turning pale which a good friend of mine who keeps scorpions & spiders has told me that means he is molting so leave him be and get something for him to eat when he's finished because he'll want to eat a LOT!

Karl Parker

Arachnopeon
Just thought I'd do another update on how the two millis are doing!

Dash has settled in nicely. I've noticed two burrow holes, one directly next to the side, which means she's been busy while I've been asleep although I've noticed she spends most of her time in the moss chilling. I do tend to leave her to her self. I put some banana in but can't see any nibble marks but who knows!

Rush is still moulting (It's only been a week since I got them so he's bout 4 days into it) and hasn't moved from his spot. I think Dash is avoiding him as well so he can just get on with it. I've noticed his legs are different positions too like he's been keeping up with leg day at the gym so to speak which I'm guessing is to stop his legs seizing up during the moult.

Someone told me something which kinda made me a bit relieved and that was if he was dead he'd more then likely be limp and give off a pretty bad smell and there's no smell and from what I can tell he isn't limp, rather rigid and the paleness now has a sort of "see through" quality to it.

From what I've worked out Rush is definitely male, he's missing legs at the 7th segment, and Dash has all legs so that'd make her female!

All in all they've settled rather nicely and looking forward to seeing Rush out of the moult and into some fruit and maybe picking up two more, the faunarium's pretty damn big for just two of them.

(Side note: the pet store I got them from said if Rush is in fact not moulting and the other thing I'd rather not think he is they'd replace him for me which was nice. Not a lot of pet stores that'd do that nowadays that I know of!)