1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Travel?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Emily Burrow, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Emily Burrow

Emily Burrow Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    I am going to be traveling a long distance because I’m moving. It will all be in car ,but I was wondering what’s the best way to transport my T?

2. TownesVanZandt

TownesVanZandt Arachnodemon Active Member

Norway
    Just pack it as you would if you were shipping it and rehouse it when you arrive.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. antinous

antinous Phormic-Addict Arachnosupporter

How large is your T? I usually line a deli cup with moist paper towels, add some holes, and put the spider in. Then I’ll put it in a small box with crunched up paper or I’ll hold it if I’m not the one driving

• Like Like x 2
  4. Emily Burrow

Emily Burrow Arachnopeon

She’s not that big she’s pretty small.

Attached Files:

5. Teal

Teal Arachnoking Active Member

If you have just the one, you can pack her up as if for shipping.

I transport my collection in their enclosures because I have so many... I move quite often and have never had a problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnobaron Active Member

When transporting my Ts from work to home I just keep them in their enclosures.
    I just don't break heavily or turn sharply.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

Just a side thought... Did she molt recently? She looks very skinny...

For the move, this video gives a good impression on how to safely transport spiders :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Emily Burrow

Emily Burrow Arachnopeon

Yes she just molted at the beginning of last week

• Like Like x 1
  9. Andrea82

Ugh, I see I forgot to actually link the video in my previous post...

• Like Like x 2
    • Sad Sad x 1
  10. Mirandarachnid

Mirandarachnid Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    When I moved years ago with my one "rose hair" (this was before I really got into the hobby) I packed it into a styrofoam cup with some crumpled up (dry) paper towel for padding. I kept the cup in the center console with a thermometer to make sure it didn't get too cold, as I was traveling in December. My truck ended up dying on top of a mountain in the middle of AZ at 2am (took a couple hours for a tow truck to get to us, then he towed us 100 miles), so it got COLD. I think the styrofoam may have helped keep the spider from getting too cold. I think if I had dampened the paper towel, it would have gotten much colder.

Just take into account how reliable the vehicle you're riding in will be, and have some hand/foot warmers on hand just in case.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Tenebrarius

Tenebrarius Arachnobaron Active Member

put it in a deli with some thing like moist paper towel and then its ready for transport. don't forget it in the car because it will get cold in the winter time.

• Like Like x 1
  12. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Carefully. General question gets general answer ;)

13. Andrea82

@cold blood why the sad rating?

14. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Sad pack job. Is that the standard in Europe?

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Teal

Teal Arachnoking Active Member

The container for the T itself wasn't bad... though I don't prefer to use shallow cups. But the box packing was not what I'd like to see, for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Andrea82

I think spiders here have less time/distance for travel in the UK, and between mainland EU countries than the US. Styrofoam boxes aren't standard except when the temps are lower than 5°C.
    In the US, you ship spiders no matter what, in Europe shipping stops or is at your own risk when temps are below 5°C or above 30°C.

17. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

Seriously? What's wrong with the packing?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. cold blood

1. How the t was secured.

2 The method of getting it in. This gave a good laugh.

3. Lack of a simple insulated box.

We hear all the time how much extra time European shipments spend in transit than here. You would think they would provide better packing, not minimalist.

I gaurantee not only would i be dealing with DOAs with that packing, but a host of poor reviews as well. It seems we just have higher standards when it comes to shipping.

This isnt the first time ive seen European packing that i would consider bare minimum effort.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Minty

Minty Previously mmcg Arachnosupporter

London
    What does US packing look like, out of interest?

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. cold blood

smaller ones

same thing for larger ts, just on a larger scale

we pretty much always, regardless of conditions, provide an insulated box as the most basic part of shipping living things.
    20180817_184047.jpg 20180817_184034.jpg

And doing it like this, you simply walk the t in via a funnel....no trying to just get lucky like the guy in the vid hoping it just walks in and sits all pretty....which almost never happens in real life. 20170410_141843.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1