Trapping my regalis, any ideas?

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I need some advice guys.

It's been over a year a 2 molts and my regalis tank needs to be cleaned. It's a 5 gallon standing on it's side. I managed to remove the cork bark and water dish so she is now out in the open. She is almost 6 inches in legspan and fast as hell and I'd like to prevent getting bitten.

I usually trap my T's in tupperwares but I'm nervous about getting that close to her because I've seen her leap at prey before. I thought of maybe getting a new tank and setting up some kind of makeshift passageway betwen the 2 and wait for her to cross over, if she decides to. Any suggestions?

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cut the bottom off a plastic 2 litre soda bottle and cup her in that, thats what I use...

Regards, Mike

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mike H. said:
Cut the bottom off a plastic 2 litre soda bottle and cup her in that, thats what I use...

Regards, Mike
I can do that with a tupperware as well, my concern is that she is on the side of the vertical tank and may leap onto my arm and bite me because she's frightened if I try and trap her.

Rounder

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i would take the enclosure to the bathtub, cover any vents/drains it might have access to if/when it runs, take the lid off the enclosure with the open side facing to the side or away from you, use a soft paint brush or something similar to encourage it to move out of the enclosure and into the bathtub, my p. regalis is 3" and ran up the wall, then it was much easier to work with. At that point, it isn't thinking about feeding time and would be very unlikely to leap at you as you move to cover it. depending how much cleaning you need to do and how active the T is, you might be able to do your maintenance while the T is in the bathtub and when you're finished, just prod it back to the enclosure.

Brian F.

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I also use the two-liter bottle method. So far, so good. Good luck with your little monster!

Brian

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wear a long-sleeved shirt or jacket made out of a heavy fabric if you want to protect your arms. Another trick that has worked for me is to take a large aquarium net, bend the handle at a 90 degree angle, and use that to trap the spider, then slide some heavy cardboard under it and move it.

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thakns for the suggestions. I think I'll use a combo of all of them :D

Darwinsdad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you are thinking of a new tank ,will it be another 5 gal. set up the new tank and place it face to face with the old "soiled one with a cardboard slab between them. Slid the board out wait untile it moves to the new tank and replace the board and it does all the work for you. Of course I understand that if you are changeing tank size this will not work but it is a thought anyway.

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Darwinsdad said:
If you are thinking of a new tank ,will it be another 5 gal. set up the new tank and place it face to face with the old "soiled one with a cardboard slab between them. Slid the board out wait untile it moves to the new tank and replace the board and it does all the work for you. Of course I understand that if you are changeing tank size this will not work but it is a thought anyway.
That was my original idea. I guess the tunnel ref might have thrown you off. Thanks. I think this is the safest way to do it after thinking over the other options.

NYCspiderGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I like the cut bottle method also, but yours SEEMS easier... assuming the regalis cooperates.

I have had good luck with the bottle with faster T's but less with the fishnet. I feel too clumsy with it and afraid to hit the T with the wire part if things start to move too fast. Still keep one on hand when changing tanks as a "just in case" tool... a large one.

Is Hell's Penthouse large enough to keep a spare tank around just for changes? Assuming it is "Clinton" in west 40's? What a name for a neighborhood! Hell's Kitchen made more sense. Old haunts.

I have never used that method, but have thought about it. Most have surprised me by going straight away into new tank when necessary, but I agree that bathroom/tub is a good idea. Just in case of escape. Let em run themselves tired.(Attention - as others advise - close drains and be sure no cleansers/bleach remain on surface!!)

Curious to hear how it goes. Give us an update when finished, please.

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hell's Penthouse, could be anywhere.. maybe the Playboy Mansion. That place was a trip.

I took a look and don't have any other tanks lying around. I wouldn't use a net because when I got one of my T's the petstore guy did that and it's leg got caught and it lost it in the following molt.

I'll figure something out and let you all know how it goes. I probably will just say *@^$ it and use a tupperware bare handed. If my regalis gets loose in the bathroom I'll have hell to pay, and I don't mean the fee used to bribe the penthouse bouncers.

NYCspiderGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here's hoping your bathroom tiles do not have insect/spider pattern on them... easier to find!

Playboy parties... strange way to see oneself - the girls do not eat, drink or smoke anything. They DID giggle admiringly/uncontrollably at anything I said - as a man - and act like I am fascinating and the only man in the room. Are our egos so fragile that THAT is the ideal to make us melt? Beautiful girls, but it made me feel weird. The coke-sniffing yuppies loved it though!

Anyway, surprises are the rule, so be prepared Grasshopper.
I had a P.murinus once scale it's old tank walls, down the side and back up the large box all was in for a tank switch in about1/2 second... good thing he got tired so fast!(That was 2 tanks inside large tupper-box)
Next change I moved all to bathroom... for that extra second or two of lead time for me to get in control... if that is the word.

Can you have another friend there to be another pair of eyes? Might want to hide on your back... the spider, that is. Not your friend.

Stracs-arachs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
regalis catching....

My regalis is pretty big...she is just about 8" and she can move when she wants too. I use the tupaware method and soda bottle method wearing gloves and long sleeve shirt. I have had her jump onto me , run up my wall and bite my gloves. You have to be quick dont give her a chance....lol......or at least try too. Remember the continuous misses in capturing her.......the faster she gets and also more defensive. Goodluck!

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Stracs-arachs said:
My regalis is pretty big...she is just about 8" and she can move when she wants too. I use the tupaware method and soda bottle method wearing gloves and long sleeve shirt. I have had her jump onto me , run up my wall and bite my gloves. You have to be quick dont give her a chance....lol......or at least try too. Remember the continuous misses in capturing her.......the faster she gets and also more defensive. Goodluck!
Thanks. I can say that my regalis is rather reclusive. If she is out on her bark and feels the vibration of me opening her tank to feed her, she almost always retreats deep into her hide, which she extended under her bark and several inches under th substrate. I'm guessing she will cower more than jump after further thought so I will try the tupperware or bottle method first, inside the bathtub, with long thick shirt, gloves and... hell, might as well get a beekeeper suit and a shotgun just in case :)

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Is the shot gun to shoot the t or yourself if you get bit? ;) Sorry, I couldn't pass that one up. Good luck! I'm dreading the day I have to totally clean my regalis enclosure.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Try feeding her first, maybe she'll be too busy eating a cricket to try to eat you, it slows my gbb from light speed to something you can see with the naked eye. (alternatively what happens when my A.genic eats a two or three crickets she's relatively docile until she gets hungry, which is almost always)

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thoth said:
Try feeding her first, maybe she'll be too busy eating a cricket to try to eat you, it slows my gbb from light speed to something you can see with the naked eye. (alternatively what happens when my A.genic eats a two or three crickets she's relatively docile until she gets hungry, which is almost always)
That could work. I know what you mean about gbb. I've raised mine since it was a spiderling about 1/2" and this guy keeps getting faster. I think he just teleports now.