Trapdoor, Purseweb spider, or other?

Lumina

Arachnosquire
UPDATE: I think it may actually be a
Porrhothele antipodiana ("Black tunnelweb spider"). Hmmmm.:bookworm:

My parents just sent me this photo of a spider they found on their property in South Carolina. They're not sure what species it is. My guess is a Trapdoor or Purseweb. What do you guys think?

Attachments

Last edited:

Lumina

Arachnosquire
Or possibly a Funnel Web? It's pretty difficult for me to distinguish.
I would love them to send it to me haha but they won't. ... At least they won't kill it though. :)

I'm actually thinking it's probably a Porrhothele antipodiana ("Black tunnelweb spider"). They just sent me another photo (much better quality)
If it's native to where your parents caught it, I'm sure that's exactly what it is. Looks like a replica of the photo to be honest, but I know it isn't. All the same, good luck with her, she'll outlast a lot of other pets you could come across in the Carolinas.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
UPDATE: I think it may actually be a
Porrhothele antipodiana ("Black tunnelweb spider"). Hmmmm.:bookworm:

My parents just sent me this photo of a spider they found on their property in South Carolina. They're not sure what species it is. My guess is a Trapdoor or Purseweb. What do you guys think?
In SC, this wouldn't be Porrhothele antipodiana, as they are found in New Zealand.

However, we do have Ummidia (cork-lid trapdoor spiders), though I have never been lucky enough to find one. A good identifying feature is the saddle-like depression they have in the tibia (second long leg segment) of the third leg.

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
It's amazing the similarity of some species. It also looks a lot like Missulena bradleyi but isn't as those are from Australia.

Lumina

Arachnosquire
It's amazing the similarity of some species. It also looks a lot like Missulena bradleyi but isn't as those are from Australia.
Indeed. So tricky to differentiate between species (at least to a new hobbyist like myself).

Lumina

Arachnosquire
In SC, this wouldn't be Porrhothele antipodiana, as they are found in New Zealand.

However, we do have Ummidia (cork-lid trapdoor spiders), though I have never been lucky enough to find one. A good identifying feature is the saddle-like depression they have in the tibia (second long leg segment) of the third leg.
Oh good call! ...I didn't notice that the Porrhothele were only native to NZ.

If it's native to where your parents caught it, I'm sure that's exactly what it is. Looks like a replica of the photo to be honest, but I know it isn't. All the same, good luck with her, she'll outlast a lot of other pets you could come across in the Carolinas.
I wish that my parents would send her to me haha. But they would never feel comfortable handling any spiders unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:

basin79

ArachnoGod
Oh good call! ...I didn't notice that the Porrhothele were only native to NZ.
Porrhothele antipodiana also look a lot different.

Yours looks like a trapdoor and a purse web. It's got that build. Beautiful spider.

This is a very small Calommata signata I have. The carapace and legs look similar. Obviously not the same but this is a purse web. That typed trapdoors look similar too.

Last edited by a moderator: