Trapdoor baboon spider mating

lhystrix

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
CUUTEE little slings!!

i cant wiat till they grow enuff to live on there own ;)
Me either. After further investigation, there is no movement, and no spiderlings present, so they are currently at the prelarva/larval stage.
The female was responsible for the tear in the sac. Now if they can just make it the rest of the way...

Vietnamese510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
he

yay!! :)

i cant wait! are you going to be sellign them or giving them away :)

i would love to care for them!

HaploFool

No longer a pet hole
Arachnosupporter
Brilliant creature here

Hi,

I am fascinated by trapdoors, I have two Malaysian red/black striped (L. Murphyorum) and these Baboon Trapdoors are exquisite! I myself am trying to raise and breed different types of trapdoors and these photos are so informative! Beautiful creatures! Thank you for posting this.

Jason

HaploFool

No longer a pet hole
Arachnosupporter
Baboon Trapdoors

Where can one obtain a pair of these beauties?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
sorry for the losses, glad to see you got some babies though

hey... what substrate is that? it makes for super clean trapdoors! lovely pics as always

also... what are your plans for raising the younglings. i am trying to really get into CA native trapdoors and my first attempt at raising babies was a dismal failure. my second attempt is going better but not great... i have them communal (B. californicum) and they group feed and are probably like 3i now. my problem is that when i pot them up they make trapdoors that are so tiny no feeders i have work :/

lhystrix

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sorry for the losses, glad to see you got some babies though

hey... what substrate is that? it makes for super clean trapdoors! lovely pics as always

also... what are your plans for raising the younglings. i am trying to really get into CA native trapdoors and my first attempt at raising babies was a dismal failure. my second attempt is going better but not great... i have them communal (B. californicum) and they group feed and are probably like 3i now. my problem is that when i pot them up they make trapdoors that are so tiny no feeders i have work :/
Thanks, me too. If the second mating was successful, hopefully there will be more survivors.

The substrate in the first set of mating images is a mixture of sand, Excavator substrate, and coconut fiber. The substrate in the second mating series is Excavator substrate with a coconut fiber trapdoor.
The reason for two different substrates in the images is I moved the spider to a more shallow enclosure (4" deep burrow) for easier maintenance when required.

I prefer (and the various African trapdoors as well) a mixture of coconut fiber, sand, and a little excavator soil. The sand I use is white sand from local sand scrub areas and is often referred to as 'sugar sand'. Using the right proportions results in a nice, loamy substrate. For trapdoor material I provide local moss and lichens commonly found in xeric habitats. I'll post images if you or anyone else is interested.

What is the CA traps BL at 3i?
The spiderlings posted here are still 1st instars, with a body length of 5.5mm.
As second instars they should have no problem taking pinhead crickets.

Have you tried small true spiders as prey for them? Spiders are part of their diet as well in a natural environment (as you may be very well aware of). Many Gnaphosids and wolf spiders wind up as prey during the night.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
ah. i was actually only aware of Aptostichus simus preying on wandering MM Lutica spiders (and totally want ot get a sand dune viv goign with both species in it!)

thanks for the info man!

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Are the young still being co-hab with the mother? Are they living with her in her burrow or dispersing? The last picture of the young you have doesn't look like they are at a feeding stage yet, perhaps another molt?

lhystrix

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are the young still being co-hab with the mother? Are they living with her in her burrow or dispersing? The last picture of the young you have doesn't look like they are at a feeding stage yet, perhaps another molt?
Yes, that's right, the spiders are still first instars as mentioned in previous comment, and the sac was removed hence the body count.

If the second copulation was a success, I don't plan on interfering with the natural process in captivity.

Took this picture earlier tonight.
Second instars any day now...

For those of you who don't know, all spiders 'turn' dark prior to molt (compare this image to other first instar images in this thread). If the spider is naturally dark (L. mactans, for example) however, it is not as easy to see this.

Attachments

Kevmaster06

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i would be more than willing to help raise 1,2, or mabe a few of those as trapdoor spiders are by FAR my favorite.

lhystrix

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
These are easiest trapdoor spiders to breed, raise, and breed again. If only the other genera were this simple.

One more from 12/22. I don't remember when she laid eggs, but the egg sac image was taken today.

Attachments