Trading G.rosea for A. Avicularia?

Mr.Scorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do you think I should? My rose is full grown and I see this cute, adorable sub-adult little avic being poorly taken care of. What are the pro's and cons of me doing this? I love the colors of avics but I'm antsy about the humidity issues. I'm sure I can do it, but is it tough? Are avics tough to care for? How long do they live usually as females (im pretty sure this guy is male though). Oh, and how big do they get?

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They really aren't hard to care for at all. I keep all mine on dry vermiculite substrate and mist about once or twice a week if that gives you a sense of humidity and I've only ever had 2 sling deaths (1 due to a leg injury and 1 due to dehydration when in my T-sitter's care). You could house a sub-adult in a 2.5 gallon tank with a wire lid turned on it's end. I keep my adult breeders in a 5 gallon but if you aren't breeding you could get away with quite a bit less space. Females live 5 to maybe 8 years, and males usually mature in 2 years. I would say go for it. The only downside is that it may be in poor health, but I think they are definitely more interesting than G. rosea.

Mr.Scorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, but if it is in poor health, it would get better with proper care,right? Currently, its in a small KK with dry substrate at the pet store. Also, should I saran wrap part of the lid, and is room temp. fine or does it need to be higher like 75?

Last edited:

fyic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok sounds like a good deal.....BUT you said this one is in bad shape or poorly taken care of.......so now if you trade your rose for it won't your rose be put in that same situation....poorly taken care of.:confused:

Chilkootmom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok sounds like a good deal.....BUT you said this one is in bad shape or poorly taken care of.......so now if you trade your rose for it won't your rose be put in that same situation....poorly taken care of.:confused:
Good Point...exactly what I was thinking....

Linda

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That's exacty what I was thinking too! :(

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok, but if it is in poor health, it would get better with proper care,right? Currently, its in a small KK with dry substrate at the pet store. Also, should I saran wrap part of the lid, and is room temp. fine or does it need to be higher like 75?
Room temp is fine and you don't need to saran wrap the lid. Humidity doesn't seem to be as important for Avics as we think. I keep all mine on bone dry substrate and they have thrived. You should be able to provide ample humidity through a water dish and periodic misting. Though I agree with the others, maybe you should just buy it instead of doing a trade?

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Do you think I should? My rose is full grown and I see this cute, adorable sub-adult little avic being poorly taken care of. What are the pro's and cons of me doing this? I love the colors of avics but I'm antsy about the humidity issues. I'm sure I can do it, but is it tough? Are avics tough to care for? How long do they live usually as females (im pretty sure this guy is male though). Oh, and how big do they get?
If you are trading the G. rosea for the "poorly taken care of" A. avic...whats to say your rosea will then be well cared for?

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
haha exactly what i thought! beat me 2 it :p

Remi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i say go out an by yourself an avic if you want one. i go my first T a while ago (a.avic) spiderling and i really like it.