Topical flea treatment and yard treatment

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
Sorry if this has already been answered here. I have furry animals as well, and I was wondering if I should switch my dog and cats over to oral flea treatment as opposed to topical. I was also wondering if I treat my yard for fleas and fire ants (I live in the south so we can’t get away from them), would that pose a risk to my tarantulas and other inverts? I haven’t had any issues so far, but I have yet to treat my yard as I just moved into a house and I’ve been living in apartments for a while. Would topical flea treatment and yard treatment pose a risk to my Ts and other inverts? My furry animals don’t go in the T room at all, and I can remove my shoes before going in there and not open windows.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
There's definitely an increased risk. When you treat the yard make sure the windows are closed. Not a bad idea to temporarily seal vents to the crawl space as well, especially if you're treating it as well.

I'd be very careful about topical flea treatment. Make sure not to pet a dog or cat before feedings, be conscious of whether they've been cuddling you and getting stuff on your clothes. Oral would probably be a safer option but I don't know much about how they metabolize it, so don't know if they sweat/drool any trace amounts.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
There's definitely an increased risk. When you treat the yard make sure the windows are closed. Not a bad idea to temporarily seal vents to the crawl space as well, especially if you're treating it as well.

I'd be very careful about topical flea treatment. Make sure not to pet a dog or cat before feedings, be conscious of whether they've been cuddling you and getting stuff on your clothes. Oral would probably be a safer option but I don't know much about how they metabolize it, so don't know if they sweat/drool any trace amounts.
I’ll make sure to seal everything up and I was already considering switching to an oral treatment. I’ll definitely be doing that thank you!

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I had tried oral flea treatment from the vet with my dog and it had diarrhea for three weeks and was so sick. Told the vet he was out of his mind when he suggested trying the second treatment. Research whatever it is you’re thinking about because the oral treatments have nasty things in them that is basically like feeding your animal pesticides. I don’t have flea or tick problems so luckily I was able to just bail on topical types of treatments.

I have bug exterminators spray the outside of the house every month or two. Just close windows. I also garden a lot and use chemicals and fertilizers, just wash your hands well. If you are worried use gloves. Honestly wouldn’t overthink it, just practice good hygiene and be consistent with it.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
I had tried oral flea treatment from the vet with my dog and it had diarrhea for three weeks and was so sick. Told the vet he was out of his mind when he suggested trying the second treatment. Research whatever it is you’re thinking about because the oral treatments have nasty things in them that is basically like feeding your animal pesticides. I don’t have flea or tick problems so luckily I was able to just bail on topical types of treatments.

I have bug exterminators spray the outside of the house every month or two. Just close windows. I also garden a lot and use chemicals and fertilizers, just wash your hands well. If you are worried use gloves. Honestly wouldn’t overthink it, just practice good hygiene and be consistent with it.
That sucks. I unfortunately can’t not treat them because fleas are terrible in Florida. I wish I didn’t have to worry about it but if I didn’t I’d be infested with them.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
What about diatomaceous earth? I’m thinking of just treating the yard with that and not using any pesticides at all.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Oral flea preventatives have a much lower risk of harming your inverts. They're also more effective and last longer than topical treatments.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
Oral flea preventatives have a much lower risk of harming your inverts. They're also more effective and last longer than topical treatments.
Yes I just got some prescription oral treatment from the vet! It lasts 3 months which is much better.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Topical and oral both work the same. I DO NOT mean give topical treatment orally! They both stay in the blood and are transmitted to biting insects. Once the topical is absorbed you don't pose a risk to the inverts. They are extremely powerful drugs that should be handled with care and administered so. Following the instructions to the T and the I.

jc55

Arachnoknight
What about diatomaceous earth? I’m thinking of just treating the yard with that and not using any pesticides at all.
diatamaceous earth will also kill spiders and many other pests so i would exercise caution just the same as using any kind of product used for exterinating.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I have three dogs. They all get frontline during the warmer months and they sleep with me.
Do any feeding or maintenance after your morning shower and you'll never have problems.
Cheers. 🍺

liquidfluidity

Arachnoknight
Kind of tagging along as it's spring and I'm thinking of some type of bug barrier that you spray around the external house perimeter.

Would be nice to see what products others are safely using too - for the OP and others.

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread. I just thought that my pondering was pertinent.

Boomkip

Arachnosquire
Very late bump. But happy I found this thread before giving my furry pets more topical flea treatment (every 6 months). Going to switch to oral. I consider myself lucky that my two G. pulchra never showed signs of something wrong during the 2,5 years I did use topical treatment on my dogs and cats. But seeing as I now have alot more tiny slings, I don't want to risk it.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Very late bump. But happy I found this thread before giving my furry pets more topical flea treatment (every 6 months). Going to switch to oral. I consider myself lucky that my two G. pulchra never showed signs of something wrong during the 2,5 years I did use topical treatment on my dogs and cats. But seeing as I now have alot more tiny slings, I don't want to risk it.
Even oral ones can be dangerous, depending how they work, if they only stay in the blood stream or if they are expelled via sweat etc. If it only stays in the blood stream there is not much to worry about.

So if you pet your dog or car, better to wash your hands for an extra precaution

Boomkip

Arachnosquire
Even oral ones can be dangerous, depending how they work, if they only stay in the blood stream or if they are expelled via sweat etc. If it only stays in the blood stream there is not much to worry about.

So if you pet your dog or car, better to wash your hands for an extra precaution
I rarely pet my car. Okay. Sometimes. After a long drive as a thank you for getting me there.

But I think the oral kind that my vet prescribes only stays in the blood stream. I have one dog and five cats, one of the is a nakey boi, so he doesn't need flea treatment. But I always wash my hands before and after doing stuff with my spiders and I always wear gloves because I don't just get a rash if I get an urticating hair on my skin, the effected bodypart actually swells up 🤣 I remember when I accidently got a hair on my throat. I had a swollen frog neck for weeks.

HankyPankyRoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use Bravecto for my dog. One chew every 3 months. Oral is the way to go in my opinion. Give it a go and see how well she tolerates it