Too soon to jump to an arboreal?

Cecil

Arachnopeon
What arboreal did you buy that looked like a g. rosea? Lmao
I think it was all the adrenaline of picking up my first t that made me not think clearly so I didn’t realize she didn’t look like a rosehair until I was calmer Oops (I was stupid but I know better now)

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
There are loads of new world terrestrial that could be better to go for an A Genic could be good as there seemingly pretty feisty, getting used to them and there reactions will give you the confidence in you’re self to make the step to arboreal going into the avic or ex avic genus’s, then to psalmos or tappies before going into old world Ts, that’s the logical steps that’s should be taken but people skip steps including me but it’s all to do with how confident you feel in you’re skills to safely maintain you’re T
If I get anything from the expo, it’s definitely going to be an A Genit. I am in love with them and want to raise one as a sling. Thank you for the advice!

[Edit] I meant to hit "useful" as your rating!

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
@viper69 To put your mind at ease, I would never get a T I hadn't done research on. I asked this question originally because I was doing research on different species' care. I am definitely going to hold my horses on an arboreal; there's always time to get one later. Between this thread and reading about other people's experiences, I don't think it would be smart. I am only going to get a couple of species (three tops) at the expo if I end up going, so not adding an arboreal wouldn't be an issue. And I am going to be making a trip to The Container store to make some sling and juvie set ups (even if I don't go to the expo, it would be nice to have them around for Ts I eventually get). I've watched the Tom Moran series on slings twice (once was when I didn't think I'd want slings, so I didn't absorb everything lol). I am going to have a list of species I already know the care of and won't deviate from it. I do really appreciate everyone's input.
Do you? If you appreciate everyones input, you wouldnt dislike mine! I actually bought 2 tarantulas the first week when i started 20 years ago, bith terrestrials but anyways! So as i said, buying an arboreal so close to the first one should not be a problem, if you choose a beginner friendly one

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
Do you? If you appreciate everyones input, you wouldnt dislike mine! I actually bought 2 tarantulas the first week when i started 20 years ago, bith terrestrials but anyways! So as i said, buying an arboreal so close to the first one should not be a problem, if you choose a beginner friendly one
I do appreciate your input! I feel like we are both at different skill levels, though! I am keeping all this info for when I do feel comfortable enough to make the leap.

And if I hit dislike that was def a mistake (like me asking that other forum member for clarification lol)

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
I think it was all the adrenaline of picking up my first t that made me not think clearly so I didn’t realize she didn’t look like a rosehair until I was calmer Oops (I was stupid but I know better now)
I just imagine someone looking at an a. avic for example and being like “ah, yes. A rose hair.”

Dev1lZ

Arachnopeon
I got a Carabena Versicolor sling as my fourth sling recently. My first arboreal T. Set up the enclosure so the cork hangs from the top. There is a gap between the cork bark and the floor about an inch or so. The issue is that the sling doesn’t notice feeders on the floor at all. So, then I try to place feeder roaches on the cork bark, which then head down to the floor. I am now trying flightless fruit flies which happily scale the walls and get eaten.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I got a Carabena Versicolor sling as my fourth sling recently. My first arboreal T. Set up the enclosure so the cork hangs from the top. There is a gap between the cork bark and the floor about an inch or so. The issue is that the sling doesn’t notice feeders on the floor at all. So, then I try to place feeder roaches on the cork bark, which then head down to the floor. I am now trying flightless fruit flies which happily scale the walls and get eaten.
Leave the feeder in overnight I never see my avics catch there prey but it’s never there the next day lol

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
I have a good friend who I got into the hobby a little less than 6 months ago and he has around 20 Ts now. With a couple old world's. Some people can say he's moving too fast but he's does his research and all his Ts are happy and healthy. I just help him with rehousing them everynow and then. DO YOUR RESEARCH. That is very very important. When I started I didn't have help like my friend does. I was believing everything i would read online.......Rocks in the water dish.......drowning tarantulas.....I cringe at myself. And I cringe hard.

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
I have a good friend who I got into the hobby a little less than 6 months ago and he has around 20 Ts now. With a couple old world's. Some people can say he's moving too fast but he's does his research and all his Ts are happy and healthy. I just help him with rehousing them everynow and then. DO YOUR RESEARCH. That is very very important. When I started I didn't have help like my friend does. I was believing everything i would read online.......Rocks in the water dish.......drowning tarantulas.....I cringe at myself. And I cringe hard.
I had so many misconceptions about how to care for Ts that made keeping them feel SO intimidating. I have no idea how people did this before the internet and forums. Did your friend keep other pets that weren't mammals before this? I feel like such a newbie because before this, I thought "bugs" in general were cruddy pets, save for ants (which I don't currently keep, way less expensive to buy spiders lol). I think I now have a better idea of how to "pace" myself with Ts. My problem is that I have the disposable income for it so I want to get all the Ts RIGHT NOW, so I've been setting dates to force myself to wait. I would have gotten my GBB several months earlier if I had gotten a T when I originally decided I wanted one. I really want to do a good job keeping these animals.

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
I had so many misconceptions about how to care for Ts that made keeping them feel SO intimidating. I have no idea how people did this before the internet and forums. Did your friend keep other pets that weren't mammals before this? I feel like such a newbie because before this, I thought "bugs" in general were cruddy pets, save for ants (which I don't currently keep, way less expensive to buy spiders lol). I think I now have a better idea of how to "pace" myself with Ts. My problem is that I have the disposable income for it so I want to get all the Ts RIGHT NOW, so I've been setting dates to force myself to wait. I would have gotten my GBB several months earlier if I had gotten a T when I originally decided I wanted one. I really want to do a good job keeping these animals.
No he had no experience with them. He fed one of my Ts and he was addicted. But he will dig and spend hours of reading on a tarantula and what enclosure set up he will make. As long as you do your research go for it. We all have to start somewhere. But there's alot of people out there that do ZERO research. They come to forums and ask the same questions that's been asked hundreds of times, that's a sign that they haven't done alot of research. But if your willing to put in time to wrestling size, speed, husbandry difficulties, and so on then your heading in the right direction. Be safe now and have fun growing your collection : )

Dev1lZ

Arachnopeon
Leave the feeder in overnight I never see my avics catch there prey but it’s never there the next day lol
I’ve tried that with roaches and headless mealworms, but they never get touched. I end up having to either throw them away or feed another one of my slings with it. My B. Hamorii sling loves day old dead mealworms from enclosure 4. :)

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
Just a tidbit of information. I have quite a few arboreal species and many other T’s.

I have 2 iridopelma’s and they are the only T I’ve had a threat pose from..... I’d definitely wait before getting a iridopelma

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Just a tidbit of information. I have quite a few arboreal species and many other T’s.

I have 2 iridopelma’s and they are the only T I’ve had a threat pose from..... I’d definitely wait before getting a iridopelma
yeah they are the bad boy avics lol look nice and cuddly like avics with old world attitude

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah from what I read they don't have hairs like other new worlds, so they are far more skiddish and defensive. Thought it would be good to get to prepare for OWs, well the guy who sold it to me said that lol. And I know it's momma is feisty soooooo, lmao.
All members of this genus do not have urticating setae. This is isn't the only genus from the NW that lacks them.