Is my enclosure too "busy"?

• Right amount of stuff

• Too much stuff

• Just free up one corner

• Add a little more greenery

Results are only viewable after voting.

lucarelli78

Arachnosquire
Hey everyone, can you take a second and help me out please? I feel like I made a great enclosure for my 5" L.parahybana. I'm just wondering if I got a little overzealous with the decorating. What do you think?
Enclosure: 14"x9"x5.5"

Attachments

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Too much rocks and pebbles. If it decides to burrow along the sides it may get those caving in on it and it could be dangerous in case it decides to climb and fall on it. The pebbles in the waterdish are unnecessary and can hinder your spider from drinking.
I'd replace the rocks with some pieces of corkbark if you want some more clutter in the enclosure and place the plants around the hide. :)

lucarelli78

Arachnosquire
Too much rocks and pebbles. If it decides to burrow along the sides it may get those caving in on it and it could be dangerous in case it decides to climb and fall on it. The pebbles in the waterdish are unnecessary and can hinder your spider from drinking.
I'd replace the rocks with some pieces of corkbark if you want some more clutter in the enclosure and place the plants around the hide. :)
Thanks for taking the time to assess and make suggestions. I've had this Lp for years/sling, it never burrows, just loves to chill and stretch out, so the substrate is only 2". But good call on the pebble edge, I'll keep my eye on it. And you're right about plants around the hide. Thanks again.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I'd remove some of the stones and I'd also part-bury the water so that it's reasonably flush with the ground.

lucarelli78

Arachnosquire
Agreed.

@lucarelli78 In addition to the other suggestions you should bury the water dish so that the top of it is level with the substrate.
Thanks for taking the time to view, assess and provide suggestions. The pic is deceptive. The water dish is only a half inch higher than ground level, and the stones around it act as a ramp.

lucarelli78

Arachnosquire
I'd remove some of the stones and I'd also part-bury the water so that it's reasonably flush with the ground.
Thanks for taking the time to view, assess and provide suggestions. The pic is deceptive. The water dish is only a half inch higher than ground level, and the stones around it act as a ramp.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Do you not intend on removing the rocks? Substrate can easily act as a "ramp" as well, if you mount it up the sides. Although if it's only half an inch higher, I'm not sure if there's really any need for a ramp at all.

lucarelli78

Arachnosquire
Do you not intend on removing the rocks? Substrate can easily act as a "ramp" as well, if you mount it up the sides. Although if it's only half an inch higher, I'm not sure if there's really any need for a ramp at all.
No, I really don't want to move the rocks. They help keep the Coco fiber out of the water, and makes the dish more accessible for removal to be cleaned. And I like the way it looks.

cold blood

Staff member
1. The rocks need to go, even the ones in the water dish. They're just a hazard in an enclosure, and to have them around the side is the worst possible place for them, as that's where most falls end up...and yeah, the fall is short, but that doesn't mean its short enough to surround it with hazards. As for the dish, well a t likes to stick its face right in there to drink....a deep dish isn't a bad thing.

2. The hide. It looks like a pot or cup, if its whole, as it appears, its basically a worthless hide. Hides should never be dead ends, rather they should be starting points. Even a t that never burrows most of its life, may at some point, decide to...all that hide is providing is a place to get defensive from, because with only one way out, everything at the door is either food, or a huge threat. If its cracked and not whole, disregard obviously.

I do like how you have the hide buried.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
If you think a couple of pebbles is going to prevent substrate in the waterdish, you're in for a surprise. Because of the way they drink, they ALWAYS drag substrate and webbing in the waterdish.
If the pebbles in the waterdish are to big, you reduce the amount of water the spider can get to, and you need to refill the dish much sooner and risk your spider being without a manageable source of water. You can keep the rocks around the waterdish, but those that are on the sides and in the waterdish need to go, as they can pose a risk.