too much moisture?

solaceofwinter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
is this too much moisture? i hate not being able to at least look in the side and seeing if the spider is out or not, i wipe it down but it fogs back up... should i add more holes/heat?
sorry if pic doesnt show im trying to figure out why... its attached and all... :?

Attachments

jonnysebachi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not too sure as to the species you keep in it. Some of mine do that. I usually add more holes for better ventilation. However, if it needs high humidity just make sure the substrate is not soaking wet.

solaceofwinter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
its a 1" giant white knee, forgot to mention that. the substrate isnt soaking, dont think i could wring any water from it. its just a pain because even the lid looks like that... :8o

SergioCR

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
solaceofwinter said:
its a 1" giant white knee, forgot to mention that. the substrate isnt soaking, dont think i could wring any water from it. its just a pain because even the lid looks like that... :8o

...i have one of those also.... i think you should add more ventilation holes... what i do is have one side with holes and one side without so there's both "climates" inside... make sure not to make the holes bigger than the tarantula, they climb... :)

Niloticus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
solaceofwinter said:
is this too much moisture? i hate not being able to at least look in the side and seeing if the spider is out or not, i wipe it down but it fogs back up... should i add more holes/heat?
sorry if pic doesnt show im trying to figure out why... its attached and all... :?
It appears as if you have excess condensation. I would add more holes for ventilation. There could also be a possibility that there is too much moisture inside.

Niloticus

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
I just only saw the thread name and internally I was already answering "Yes!" :D

But now after reading... it's still yes. ;) There are only a very select few T's which need slighlty more moist conditions than others but what's going on there in your thing looks way moist. Peat can store an awful amount of water, even if you wring it not much will come, but it's still there...

Drill a lot more holes, there shouldn't be much condensation there unless possibly on a select few spots. You can add as much ventilation as you want only the sky is the limit, but don't be too generous on the humidity.

solaceofwinter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ill break out the dremel now, i thought it was a bit much too... sorry im a little new at slings, glad i asked though. {D

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep mine, slings and adults, on dry substrate (i use coconut fibre) with a wide water dish. I occasionally wet down one side if they start hanging out on the dish. I have found that when breeding some species moister conditions will help induce mating.

<edit>slings don't get a dish. They get misted once a week, but not enough to soak the substrate.

Last edited:

solaceofwinter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
cool, thanks for the help, couldnt find my dremel (it was just here!) so i used the drill, she didnt like it but ill leave her be in the dark. i think itll be alright.

Wadew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think the easiest method would be to change the substrate with drier substrate,it will take quite a while to evaporate all that moisture even with more holes! just my opinion though.

solaceofwinter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the spider is already established and doing well. so i think ill just warm it up a bit and see if i can help it evaporate faster. it was just a problem more so for me than the spider. think it could care less as long as its got food and is left alone. :)

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
I just had to look up giant white knee T. You'll do good if you start learning the scientific names of your tarantulas since it's often very confusing with the common names. Every pet shop can make up their own name and if you really need help fast there might be noone on the board who knows what the Ketchup-red Giant Plaid Bum Tarantula is... for example ;)

Your T should be an Acanthoscurria geniculata - "genic" for short here on the board. That is in fact one of the very few T's which seem to like it slightly moist, but when I talk about "moist" in this case it means "just a tad above bonedry".

As for the holes and stuff - You could make it easy for yourself and just drill those holes in the lid, take the lid off ofcourse otherwise you'll get pieces of plastic falling onto the substrate. Put a book on top of the thing there while you're working so you won't need to worry the T gets away. And then - drill away until the lid falls to pieces ;) (not! ofcourse. But drill a lot of holes. Ventilation is most often more important than humidity!)

solaceofwinter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
im decently aware of scientific names but dont like to use them too much. guess i should, but i also did not buy from a pet store either, bought from swift's, which was great.
she's got herself burrowed in good now, she has fed pretty well the last few just waiting to see which one will molt first... thanks for the advice :)

Captante

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Using the scientific names becomes habit after awhile & really does help.. as for your A.genic 'sling, I keep mine in a 1/2 cup Rubbermaid container with approx 75 holes poked in the top & some peat for substrate..for moisture I mist the side of the container lightly once a week.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
solaceofwinter said:
im decently aware of scientific names but dont like to use them too much. guess i should, but i also did not buy from a pet store either, bought from swift's, which was great.
she's got herself burrowed in good now, she has fed pretty well the last few just waiting to see which one will molt first... thanks for the advice :)
Once you are in the hobby, the use of scientific names is almost manditory. There are very few common names that are fairly universal. One shop's "Giant White Knee" may be something completely different at another shop. Even looking at some of the major dealers, there are differences in common names.

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
solaceofwinter said:
ill start sometime, its a matter of memorization, brain is currently full.
It will just come natural after a while. It's like when you visit a foreign country without a guide - you learn the basics pretty quickly and also the local *slang* ;)