too many choices:/

8legs2fangs

Arachnopeon
so as i do not have the attention span to look at every species, im asking for some extra eyes! im getting another T but i cant have an OBT or goliath due to moms restriction. so if anybody knows of a sick looking T thats medium to large size, $0-60, not TOO hard to care for, and preferably more defensive but not as potent as an ornata. and yes, i love very vibrant T's however i love jet black ones. so feel free to post anything in these guidelines! thanks!:alien:

Scorpionidae

Arachnopeon
Grammostola pulchra is dark black. The Psalmopoeus genus is supposedly more defensive, but not as toxic. Nhandu chromatus are
also supposedly more defensive, and they have contrasting black/white, and red.
Others with black contrasting to other colors are A geniculata, B smithi/boehmei/emilia, P irminia...

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
so as i do not have the attention span to look at every species, im asking for some extra eyes! im getting another T but i cant have an OBT or goliath due to moms restriction. so if anybody knows of a sick looking T thats medium to large size, $0-60, not TOO hard to care for, and preferably more defensive but not as potent as an ornata. and yes, i love very vibrant T's however i love jet black ones. so feel free to post anything in these guidelines! thanks!:alien:

Psalmopeous irminia (Venezuelan SunTiger) meets your requirements (in bold)

Cheers.

8legs2fangs

Arachnopeon
ok maybe i should say OW only lol. i HATE hairs with a passion. ever since i inhaled some :p and yes ive been looking at the suntiger! love the orangey red

meghanbe

Arachnopeon
ok maybe i should say OW only lol. i HATE hairs with a passion. ever since i inhaled some :p and yes ive been looking at the suntiger! love the orangey red
P. irminia is NW but lacks urticating hairs (hence its more defensive, bitey nature). It really does fulfill everything you're looking for.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
P. irminia is NW but lacks urticating hairs (hence its more defensive, bitey nature). It really does fulfill everything you're looking for.
Just be prepared for a T that you might not see often, or that disappears into hiding for weeks on a time. It's a species that's very secretive, but oh so pretty!

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Acanthoscurria brocklehursti are very striking in color contrast and have a bit of an attitude with an intense feeding response, and they get to be a decent size as well, 8".

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Acanthoscurria brocklehursti are very striking in color contrast and have a bit of an attitude with an intense feeding response, and they get to be a decent size as well, 8".
...and they are NW with urticating bristles which the OP doesn't want ;)

8legs2fangs

Arachnopeon
thanks^^ theres one on CL:
"Venezuelan Sun Tiger Tarantula-Female(CBB) - $85 (Olympia)

Date: 2012-08-16, 4:12PM PDT
Reply to: zxdg4-3210457149@sale.craigslist.org

I have a Female-Venezuelan Sun Tiger Tarantula for sale..she is 5" across and a young sud-adult..feeds on 3 crickets/mealworms a week..excellent condition and health..a real beauty with great disposition..she comes with complete set up and a steal at this price!.."
im thinking about it. good price or no?

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Irminia grow VERY fast. If i were you, i would buy slings.. You would likely get a few irminia PLUS other sp. and even freebies elsewhere for that kind of dough.
You certainly would end up with A female at least lol..
Depends on how much patience you have, and whether or not you are ready to/ or are already experienced in raising slings.

Also, how can you be certain its a female? Is there recent molt to verify? Can you sex an irminia ventrally? Do you trust ventral enough to spend nearly 100 with a reviewless stranger off CL and take their word for it? Also, are you READY for a 5" fast and defensive tarantula?

Im not trying to sway your decision, just givin you some food for thought

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Irminia grow VERY fast. If i were you, i would buy slings.. You would likely get a few irminia PLUS other sp. and even freebies elsewhere for that kind of dough.
Depends on how much patience you have, and whether or not you are ready to/ or are already experienced in raising slings.

Also, how can you be certain its a female? Is there recent molt to verify? Can you sex an irminia ventrally? Do you trust ventral enough to spend nearly 100 with a reviewless stranger off CL and take their word for it? Also, are you READY for a 5" fast and defensive tarantula?

From this... 0.75"
P1000983.JPG

to this (3") in under 5 months...
P1010638.JPG
P1010853.JPG

Get slings! It's anyways way more interesting to see them grow up! Maybe P. irminia and P. cambridgei? Or a nice Tappie?

Last edited:

8legs2fangs

Arachnopeon

do i trust him, no. do i want a sling, *goes into deep research mode*, am i ready for fast and aggressive, ive temporarily adopted a copperhead from a friend and im still alive so i think yes!

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Psalmopoeus pulcher is also great. Pokies other than ornata aren't that much of a threat in my experience. Some Avics grow larger and they cannot flick their hair.

coldvaper

Arachnosquire
Just be prepared for a T that you might not see often, or that disappears into hiding for weeks on a time. It's a species that's very secretive, but oh so pretty!
Mine must be unique, it is out almost all day and night. She is a Beauty and pretty large.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
do i trust him, no. do i want a sling, *goes into deep research mode*, am i ready for fast and aggressive, ive temporarily adopted a copperhead from a friend and im still alive so i think yes!
I suppose it wouldnt hurt to mention buy a few slings as this species is sexually dimorphic. Mature males lose the chevrons on the opisthosoma.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Psalmopoeus pulcher is also great. Pokies other than ornata aren't that much of a threat in my experience. Some Avics grow larger and they cannot flick their hair.
This isn't true. A. versicolor has been reported to actually kick hairs.

Mine must be unique, it is out almost all day and night. She is a Beauty and pretty large.
Mine is out roaming in her cage during nights, too. But usually they are -very- reclusive. During the day you'll hardly ever see them and a lot of them scurry instantly back into their hide if they sense any whatsoever vibration (or light for that matter). I'm just throwing this out since it's a well known fact that irminias are really secretive T's ;)

I suppose it wouldnt hurt to mention buy a few slings as this species is sexually dimorphic. Mature males lose the chevrons on the opisthosoma.
Not only that, but they look more greyish/greenish (close to a P. cambridgei actually :D), they aren't black/orange with the greenish carapace ;)

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
If you want a sick looking T just go find an Avic avic at a local petstore ;) But for an awsome looking T, I would recommend a P. irminia because everyone needs an irminia (literally) :p

8legs2fangs

Arachnopeon
If you want a sick looking T just go find an Avic avic at a local petstore ;) But for an awsome looking T, I would recommend a P. irminia because everyone needs an irminia (literally) :p
eh im not really into avics any more. i love pokies and the irminia is pretty cool too. thinking about a regalis