Tokay question male?

blazetown

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think I got this sexing thing figured out. Would these pores indicate it to be a male?

Last edited:

blazetown

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks....it's a much easier animal for me to sex ventrally than tarantulas apparently.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Wait till it starts calling. It'll drive you nuts.

blazetown

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My initial thought was female due to how quiet he was. I guess he's settling in still though. Now I need bigger viv and some females.

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My male (have had him forever) only calls when eggs are either being laid or hatching in the cage...as soon as I hear him I can come over to see one of the new events. Sometimes during the summer he randomly calls but it's not all that common since he's got 2 girls in with him.

I actually like the sound they make...always takes me a few seconds to place.

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Wow, those are pretty prominent. How old is he? I've made plans to pick up a CB Tokay at my next local reptile show, this is a handy thread for me.

Bazzgazm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
good luck picking up that cbb tokay.. =) i've been to a bunch of shows this year and not seen 1 single captive bred tokay gecko. hope you have better luck than i.

arachna-nono

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
good luck picking up that cbb tokay.. =) i've been to a bunch of shows this year and not seen 1 single captive bred tokay gecko. hope you have better luck than i.
A friend of mine breeds tokes... it's hilarious to me how nice they are for him! I'm not much of a tokay fan, myself, but if I could get a young female that stayed as nice as his do (until they start breeding, that is!), I'd chance it. I added a group of skunks to my collection, and while they're closely related to tokes, they are really nice so far. Just goes to show you can't judge a book by its cover! :)