To snake, perchance to dream...

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Local garden restaurant. Restrooms in a shaded area off to the side.

I hear chaos, female, shrill noises and lots of chatter. Glancing in that direction I don't see much so, sigh, I have to get up and stroll in that direction.

What we have here is a neat and tidy concrete structure. Before one of the two doors we have two women. One is holding a 45 gallon trash can, the other a 15 foot bamboo pole. The noise is coming from them. Judging from their excited condition and the weaponry wielded we have to be dealing with a snake. 1+1.

I investigate. "What happened?" A lot of noise. Quite a lot. Yes, I have already deduced you have encountered a snake. More noise. Chattering. One participant is trying to carry the trash can into the little room while the other tries to shove the pole in.

I relieve them of their weaponry and after quite a lot more noise I get that somebody tried to lift the lid. So I went in and did. A garter has stuck it's head up under the seat a couple of inches, chin up, mouth open a little. It's just sort of frozen in that position.

Bamboo and Trashcan informs me it must either be a python or a cobra and I am in dire peril. I was a little more curious how long the animal was and why it is so immobile. Looking about I see the end of it's tail and give it a tickle. No response. Again. Nope. "Wakey!!" Nope.

I grab it and slowly draw it out. A foot and a half tops. My pinch its almost 2 inches down from the head. It's head still raised, mouth still open. In slow motion it gently wraps it's tail around my wrist. I can feel it's warm, so it's bizarre how laconic it is. I tap it's nose softly with the tip of my finger. No response. Just gazing off and up into the distance.

I inspect it quite closely. Entirely uninjured, recent shed. But this bizarre daze, staring. Hadn't eaten recently as there was no bulgies.

So I carry it over to an overgrown grassy area, stick my hand into the weeds and release my pinch. Nope. Just staring off into the blue. I tickle it's tail and ever so slowly it unwinds then slowly slithers off into the grass. Weird.

I head on back to Trashcan and Pole. What exactly happened? You lifted the lid. You went to sit down and at the last moment looked behind you.

AHA! No other possible explanation. Just minding it's own business, enjoying the cool of the ceramic in the mid day heat when all of a sudden descending from the sky....
Of course. A profound reptilian religious experience.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I'm still wondering what the plan was with the trash can and huge pole. I've been chuckling all night. This little chap just minding his own business when this GIGANTIC bifurcated object that could eclipse the sun comes down at him.