To buy or not to buy......

Crosscountry

Arachnopeon
I bought my first Tarantula about seven months ago. She is a Brachypelma hamorii and really relaxed and easy to care for. I would like to get one more tarantula and was thinking about a Acanthoscurria geniculata. When I went to our local pet store the other day to buy some crickets I saw that they currently have a Aphonopelma seemanni for sale. When I looked them up on the internet it said that they need quite humid habitats and are always hiding. Any thoughts on how easy they are to care for and do they need a humid habitat? Or is a Acanthoscurria geniculata more fun? Thanks

cold blood

Staff member
They are easy to care for and a good beginner species.

They are fossorial, so yes, they can spend most of the time in their burrows....But humidity isnt relevant....its damp substrate they require....especially the deeper parts of the sub.

But yeah, genics are much more enjoyable...better eaters, always visible, more striking colors, bigger size and signigicantly faster growth.

Attachments

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They need moist substrate yes. And deep substrate aswell. If they establish a burrow and have settled in they are mostly living below ground

hunterc

Arachnopeon
Buy.....the answer is ALWAYS buy 😆...i really enjoy my A seemanni...it hangs at the mouth of its burrow 99% of the time, NEVER refuses food, and it burrow runs right down the side of the enclosure so even when its not out i can spy on it...and not to mention their little bulldozers..awesome and somewhat comical to watch...for sure one of my favorites..give plenty of substrate and keep moist..really easy to care for

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you want a spider that will display itself much more, and eat like a horse, buy the A geniculata. If you want a spider with a more moderate feeding responce but have a intresting burrow behaveiour if set up right, buy the A seemanni

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I just received a shipment of both Aphonopelma seemanni, and Acanthoscurria geniculata.

I must admit that I have a soft spot for the A.seemanni, the A.geniculata might be a better fit for you. The A.geniculata will have a much better feeding response and will be a much better display species.

The Aphonopelma seemanni is rather fossorial, so you'll get to see legs a lot, unless you are able to set up the enclosure so that the spider digs into a corner of the enclosure and allows you a little window in its world.

Here’s a couple images of my Aphonopelma seemanni slings.

E4B9AA73-926B-419C-B1C6-7405387D0F65.jpeg

The blue color on some of these slings is very attractive.

The A.genics were so stressed from shipping, they would have only looked like little balls of legs.

96E506B8-FC2E-475C-ABC2-0570A58B6BB2.jpeg

This little one immediately pounced on the B.lateralis roach

D3826594-5E4A-45DE-BDE8-03B87A7588DA.jpeg

The blue on some of these is nice.

Last edited:

omni

Arachnobaron
I enjoyed my A. seemani, but most of the time she spent in her hide, tho she did come out sometimes. terrestrials are better tho for seeing just about any time you want. A. genic's are great T's for display and get big, as well as the easy to find T. albopilosus aka "Curly hair" is an active T and a walking fuzzball

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper

Crosscountry

Arachnopeon
I just received a shipment of both Aphonopelma seemanni, and Acanthoscurria geniculata.

I must admit that I have a soft spot for the A.seemanni, the A.geniculata might be a better fit for you. The A.geniculata will have a much better feeding response and will be a much better display species.

The Aphonopelma seemanni is rather fossorial, so you'll get to see legs a lot, unless you are able to set up the enclosure so that the spider digs into a corner of the enclosure and allows you a little window in its world.

View attachment 337276

The A.genics were so stressed from shipping, they would have only looked like little balls of legs.

View attachment 337277

View attachment 337278

Where did you get your shipment of

View attachment 337276

View attachment 337277

View attachment 337278

Where did you get your shipment of genics from?

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
A. geniculata for the win. A. seemanni is a nice spider, but as pointed out, they spend a lot of time beneath the substrate. I rarely see mine outside of its burrow. You'll see a genic much more. And they are stunning in appearance, IMO.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I think that both species are a must have for every collection. However, if you're looking for the more entertaining of the two - go with the Acanthoscurria geniculata.
I adore my girl... she is an absolute beast and is always out where I can see her.