Tityus silvestris

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So, I got some Tityus silvestris today. Six total with two of them being an instar ahead of of the others. The curious thing about this is one of the younger specimens appears to have two common sexual dimorphic characteristics associated with males, namely bulbous chela and a fatter fifth metasoma segment (something I recall seeing in pics of other male Tityus sp.). All others, of both instars, do not exibit these characteristics. Based on similar size and coloring I'm assuming it's the same instar as the other three younger ones, and not merely a diminutive male. So, I'm wondering which of the following is the most likely possibility:
1. Males of this sp. mature an instar earlier than females.
2. Males of this sp. show sexual dimorphism at an instar earlier than adulthood.
3. The two larger scorpions are, infact, a different sp. with a similar appearance.

Pictures -

Male pic 1

Male pic 2

Male pic 3

Male pic 4

Male and one of the two females(assuming) that are an instar ahead. To give you an idea of the size, the female is slightly bigger than an adult C. vittatus (I'll update with a pic of the same scorpion with a quarter or something for comparison).

Second pic of both scorpions.

It would be nice to get some insight from those who are experienced with the genus Tityus, as well as those experienced with this species in general (it doesn't seem to be common, atleast in the U.S.).

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Lucky you. :worship: I was going to get them. You beat me by a day or two. Good luck breeding them.

john

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lucky you. :worship: I was going to get them. You beat me by a day or two. Good luck breeding them.

john
Thanks, I just happened to see they were on the pricelist the day I got paid :D (bye bye money :( ). I'll let you know when/if my breeding efforts are successful. This is my first Tityus sp. and in my casual browsings (currently doing more digging) I haven't really been able to find information on this species other than the single pic on the net by Ythier. However, I'm assuming the care for this sp. is the same generic "bark scorpion" care.

UPDATE: After browsing pics on scorpionfiles and other sites I'm pretty sure that the four smaller scorpions are not Tityus silvestris but Tityus bastosi. The two things that convice me of this are the specific coloring patterns plus the uncommon feature of small, thorn like structures on the inside of the metasoma. Now, as for the two larger scorpions, I'm still trying to find out what they are. If anyone has any ideas let me know.

Last edited:

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Those specimens are like you say not T.silvestris. The male belongs to the species Tityus bastosi, and the female belongs to another subgenus, namely Atreus. The female looks like Tityus asthenes to me. These are not a pair of the same species and they will therefore not breed. These two species belong to different subgenera, Tityus bastosi to Archaeotityus, and Tityus asthenes (or a related species, I can't tell accurately from the picture) to Atreus.

Very nice scorpions nevertheless

Cheers, Michiel

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Those specimens are like you say not T.silvestris. The male belongs to the species Tityus bastosi, and the female belongs to another subgenus, namely Atreus. The female looks like Tityus asthenes to me. These are not a pair of the same species and they will therefore not breed. These two species belong to different subgenera, Tityus bastosi to Archaeotityus, and Tityus asthenes (or a related species, I can't tell accurately from the picture) to Atreus.

Very nice scorpions nevertheless

Cheers, Michiel
Thanks for the second opinion! I came to the conslusion that the male was T. bastosi while doing some research last night. As it breaks down it looks like I have 1.2 T. bastosi, and the other 3 I'm working on figuring out what exactly they are (I'll get more detailed pics later, I want to let them settle for a few days before bothering them again). I'm going to try to find an ID key so I have something other than color and basic appearance to go off of. Could anyone experienced in scorpion taxonomy point some of the features on the scorpion I should look at/photograph to try to identify it?

Last edited:

SixShot666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
WOW!!! :eek: The genus Tityus definitely has some very beautiful species.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks for the second opinion! I came to the conslusion that the male was T. bastosi while doing some research last night. As it breaks down it looks like I have 1.2 T. bastosi, and the other 3 I'm working on figuring out what exactly they are (I'll get more detailed pics later, I want to let them settle for a few days before bothering them again). I'm going to try to find an ID key so I have something other than color and basic appearance to go off of. Could anyone experienced in scorpion taxonomy point some of the features on the scorpion I should look at/photograph to try to identify it?
Hi xVOWx,

South American scorpions are my specialty.
I don't have the time to explain to you what you should photograph and why. I can't explain in 10 minutes what took me years of experience to learn :) I am 99,9% shure of the T.bastosi ID not only based on coloration pattern, but also in the way this species shows sexual dimorphism (males having bulky chela and metasomal segment V. )
I am not shure if the second species depicted is actually adult given the level of sclerotization of the exocuticle. This one is at least subadult.

I have sufficient literature and keys, which I can share with you if you want. I would need your e-mail then. Maybe you can send me a picture of the three T.bastosi, so I can validate their sexes for you. My e-mail is cozijn.jankie@casema.nl

Regards,

Michiel Cozijn

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
WOW!!! :eek: The genus Tityus definitely has some very beautiful species.
Definately! I'm hoping the opportunity to get ahold of some T. bahiensis will come up sometime this year.