Tips for rehousing small, quick tarantulas?

DannyH

Arachnobaron
I have a GBB that us about 2" and hs gotten to bug for its enclosure, so I need to rehouse.
The lst time I rehoused it it just ran in its new home so I got lucky.

The problem is, my GBB is very fast, even by GBB standards, and likes to dart off in random directions. I am moving it from a tubberware container to a Mini Kritter Keeper. It also has no problem giving me a threat pose. Any tips would be helpful. Thanks!

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Multiple containers inside of each other, if that makes sense. I just rehoused a Heterothele villosella sling today and it was easy because of this method.

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Same as allof em, clear/clean table or bathtub, coax the spider in or pour it into container.
you could also make a paper funnel and have the spider run through that. I usually use the first method . . . .

Skeri

Arachnosquire
To elaborate on le-thomas's post, what you do is you take the container it is already in, and then place it in its next enclosure. You open the lid to its current home inside of its new one and then coax it out.

As for me I haven't had any problems with transferring them via catch cup or vial depending on their size.

poisoned

Arachnodemon
Funnels work very good for me when I cannot fit previous enclosure into new one. Spiders love funnels.

And even enclosure in enclosure failed on me once. Spider just darted out :)

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
I rehouse in the bathroom in the tub, catching in a cup then transferring to the new enclosure. It works great for me. Even if they run, they don't go far or have many places to hide.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The problem is, my GBB is very fast, even by GBB standards
Speed is relative. Phoneutria keepers would scoff at your "fast" C.cyaneopubescens ;)

Use the same rehousing technique as for all other tarantulas. Throw the contents of the old tub, spider and all, into a bucket. Fish the spider out and pop it into the new container. NEXT!

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I usually do my rehousing (for fast species) outside in the middle of the yard, then there's nowhere for them to go.

I once did the container inside the container method and ended up leaving the old container in the new one as the spider perched on top of the old one and refused to leave. It turned the old container into its den.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I usually do my rehousing (for fast species) outside in the middle of the yard, then there's nowhere for them to go.

I once did the container inside the container method and ended up leaving the old container in the new one as the spider perched on top of the old one and refused to leave. It turned the old container into its den.
I did the EXACT same thing with my OBT!
What I meant by container inside container was the old and new container together inside a container, possibly inside another (if the spider is a spiderling), if that wasn't clear already.

creepa

Arachnoknight
Speed is relative. Phoneutria keepers would scoff at your "fast" C.cyaneopubescens ;)

Use the same rehousing technique as for all other tarantulas. Throw the contents of the old tub, spider and all, into a bucket. Fish the spider out and pop it into the new container. NEXT!
Thats the burrower style transfer, works every time for me

Last edited:

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I tend to make a funnel out of a well washed 1 or 2 leiter pop bottle then do the transfer in the bath tub that's what I did with the pokies and obts I've had. If its an Avic, a Tap, or something docile I tend to just use the bath tub and free handle them.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
Take an empty sling enclosure, big enough for your GBB, and place it on top of the T. Dont crush his legs, and based upon personal experience, the T will eventually take to the walls of his prison. At this point secure the lid, or even slide a piece of cardboard underneath. From here, drop the whole thing into the new enclosure, and your T will leave when its ready. Ive used this metrhod extensivelly and without issue rehousing slings and fast mature T's. Even if you have a skittish T, you will notice that sometimes its more/less skittish. Be patient and wait a day or two if you have too.

DannyH

Arachnobaron
I think I'm gonna go for the bag method.

The problem is, what is my T isnt able to climb verticly down the bag?

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Use the bag method. Use your tongs to lift out webbing/hide etc into the bag. It works with all sizes.

Marga