Tiny crickets every day?

Tavyn

Arachnopeon
So I went to the pet store to get some Crickets for my T now that its post molt and more active. The pet store only had them in two sizes, as big as my spider and then little itty bitty ones. I didnt think crix the same size or bigger than my spider was a good idea so I got the little ones. I am having great fun giving my spider a tiny crix every day or every other day. Is there anything detrimental to the spiders health in doing this? Are big meals better for them than lotsa small ones? The abdomen doesnt look near as fat as some of the ones I have seen in pictures on here. I might try to get a good pick on here so you can see if you are curious.

savian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I personal wouldn't waste my time feeding it small ones. What I have done in the past and this has worked for feeding slings at least for me is to take a normal size cricket or bigger and crush its head and throw it in. I only due one and within minutes to hours the slings and smaller T's have started eating away at it. If you are enjoying feeding it great just keep a close eye for any that it is not going after and get them out of there you might stress your T or if it dies and you don't catch it well it could become mite food and this will lead to alot of problems you don't want. Hope this helped some.

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree,if I can't get the right size crix I always pre-kill a larger one. You can split a big one between a couple of slings.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't see anything wrong with what your doing.

-Matty

Bloodletting

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A lot of species can handle a cricket bigger than the t. I would try a larger cricket and see how it goes.

Tavyn

Arachnopeon
Its a 3 inch B vagans. I only ever feed one crix at a time and I drop it right in front of my T or I chase it down the burrow. The T always snags it almost immediately. I have a lot of fun watching the T just snag the crix. For a critter thats supposed to be almost blind it never misses.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Tavyn said:
Its a 3 inch B vagans. I only ever feed one crix at a time and I drop it right in front of my T or I chase it down the burrow. The T always snags it almost immediately. I have a lot of fun watching the T just snag the crix. For a critter thats supposed to be almost blind it never misses.

They are almost blind with their eyes, but not witht their hairs :D

-Matty

bigo85

Arachnopeon
i have an 1" B vagans and i feed him small crickets about half his sizes put one day they did not have any small crickets so i tried a med crickets which was about the same or alittle bit bigger and my B vagans ated with no problem.

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
At three inches I don't think you're B. vagans would have any trouble with Lg. crickets.